Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 06-20-2001, 04:03 PM   #41
BammBamm
Founding Member

Default Re: AMA Fines Mladin Five Gee

I hope the AMA doesn't watch South Park.
BammBamm is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-20-2001, 04:07 PM   #42
BammBamm
Founding Member

There is already a long list of riders that suffered severe injuries at Loudon. I'd list them, but I don't want to get flamed for spelling.
Old 06-21-2001, 03:46 AM   #43
LoganGixY2K
Founding Member

WHAT A FU(&ING WASTE OF A FIRST POST!!!

Just look at Mat's record!

He doesn't need to win a race to "air his complaints" in what ever way he wants.

Jee Weez!!!
LoganGixY2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2001, 04:43 AM   #44
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Egad, you win the wierd mental image of the day award with that one. Well done.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2001, 05:02 AM   #45
das
Founding Member

Default Re: God forsaken hellhole!?!

BammBamm,

Ok, so now I know what you have against the AMA. And I'm not about to disagree with you. The AMA appears to need an attitude adjustment.

That said, Mladin was, in my humble opinion, slightly out of line with the way he vented. Again, it's not to say that his concerns are unfounded, just that his method is questionable. Therefore, it's not surprising to me that he was penalized in some way by the AMA. This was a consequence. If the AMA had said that Mat wasn't allowed to be at any more press conferences, that would be censorship. But I'm digressing into a merely semantic argument here, and I'd really rather not.

I'm not convinced that the only way to invoke change is through complaints, though. I think that constructive actions and criticisms are a first step, but, if the organization is still not responsive, at some point you just have to give up on them and move on. Maybe you start a new organization, or maybe something else.
das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2001, 05:33 AM   #46
gixxer
Founding Member

Didn't every factory and satellite teams decide to pull off the race? It was not just EBos..
gixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2001, 08:06 AM   #47
stevegrab
Founding Member

Yeah, just be happy they didn't fine you too.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2001, 08:29 AM   #48
BammBamm
Founding Member

Default Re: God forsaken hellhole!?!

I appreciate your comments, and I used to agree with you.

However, I disagree that Mladin's methods are questionable. His contract with the AMA requires him to be present for the press conference, yet I don't believe it requires him to pull the "company" line. There is absolutely no reason he shouldn't be able to air his concerns. Requiring someone to show up at a press conference, then fining him for whatever reason is not in line with what the AMA supposedly stands for.

I feel that complaints, and attempts to change the AMA are constructive. It has become apparent, though that the AMA has a stranglehold on racing in the USA, and if you don't like the way they handle it they will fine you, ban you from the races, or sue you if you try to offer an alternative race series. I would love to give up on AMA racing, but they have eliminated the ability to move to a new organization, using my membership fees to do so. Their comments that it is the AMA against the racers shows their attitude, and frankly, I think that sucks. I used to think that AMA racing was about racing, but it is about the AMA dominating the USA, and if you don't like it, tough.

I recognize a difference between banning Mladin from the press conferences, as opposed to letting him speak then fining him, but neither of these alternatives are acceptable to me. Penalizing someone for something they say is reprehensible, even if someone feels it is out of line. No one is damaged by his comments, but apparently egg on the face is punishable now in the good ol' USA.
Old 06-21-2001, 08:32 AM   #49
BammBamm
Founding Member

Yes, but he has been credited with starting the boycott in the press.
Old 06-21-2001, 08:36 AM   #50
NickdaBrick
Founding Member

I am a member of the AMA. I especially appreciate the way they watch our neo-Stalinist leaders.

But in this case, they appear to be, as Mat Mladin might put it, full of sh!t.
NickdaBrick is offline   Reply With Quote