Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 06-20-2001, 08:03 AM   #21
ArtOfTheMotorcycle
Founding Member

Default It needed saying

I'm not a Mladin fan, but the track, built for NASCAR, is not a very safe place to race motorcycles. Mladin did all his fellow racers a favor by criticising it and the way the AMA handled the safety issues and the press events (though I was not there). This was much more significant than the usual tripe about how great his bike and the team are.

Instead of being vindictive and using this as a way to help pay off $3 million it lost in court to Roger Edmonston maybe the AMA Racing Department should be looking into his complaints.

To me, a double AMA LIfe Member, the big loser here looks like the AMA "Pro" Racing division--which also banned one of its own from the pits after he voiced similar concerns. They also ran the 600 race on a wet track after promising that they would not and conceding that it was a safety issue. I don't know if any of those who crashed in that race were seriously injured, but if they were and if they get a good attorney, I wouldn't want to be on the AMA's side of the courtroom.

The AMA does lots of things well, but its "Pro" Racing efforts are too often embarrassing, particularly the way its people react when criticised for safety shortcomings. A motorcycle racer saying "" is not a $5000 offence, IMO, and this looks like plain, ugly vindictiveness from here.
ArtOfTheMotorcycle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-20-2001, 08:28 AM   #22
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Default Re: Mladin isn

I readily admit to fat-fingering the keyboard on a regular basis.

I also confess to buckling to the temptation to swat a guy named "elitegroup" who is apparently unable to complete a coherent paragraph.

Your post, on the other hand, was lucid and laconic. I applaud it.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2001, 08:29 AM   #23
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Default Re: AMA Fines Mladin Five Gee

Agreed on all points.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2001, 09:17 AM   #24
Z1R
Founding Member

Eye agRee!
Z1R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2001, 09:20 AM   #25
Rafi
Registered Member

Default Re: AMA Fines Mladin Five Gee

Well, I find the penalty to be way too harsh for someone trying to intelligently state their opinion, even if they do use profanity.

Why race at a track where there is only one runoff area anyway? Does it take someone going off in a turn and dying or getting severely injured in order for these issues to be resolved? NASCAR POS racing is not real racing. Too bad the Europeans got one up on us as far as track development goes. But then again, they don't have the white-trash NASCAR go-in-a-circle mentality that the people who enjoy watching that sh*t do, either....

What, you don't like my opinion about NASCAR? Well, suckit. I don't like crap country music either. Oh, sorry....
Rafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2001, 10:46 AM   #26
BONGTOKER
Founding Member

People this is not school so just relax a little.
BONGTOKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2001, 11:47 AM   #27
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default Dump ass?

I think I had a bit of that this morning.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2001, 11:50 AM   #28
CarsSuck
Founding Member

I'm sure if your grammar's good enough, it will make everything you say correct.
Old 06-20-2001, 12:01 PM   #29
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default Wow

Scooters have accelerators and brakes too. I wonder what kind of lap time they'd have.

" MEADE: 'But it's the same thing. There's an accelerator and a brake on the bike, and you go as fast as you can.' "

Old 06-20-2001, 12:39 PM   #30
yzf1070
Founding Member

Default Re: It needed saying

It needed saying my ass I have been going to that particular racetrack for the last 9 years and in that time I have only seen 3 serious accidents that could even possibly be blamed on the track. Thomas Wilson destroyed himself and his Harley by trying to get in one more fast lap during qualifying as it just started to rain in turn one. The same year Miguel DuHamel did the exact same thing with slightly less injury in the same turn under the same , and Bret Metzger had a very nasty crash comming out of turn 12. All these accidents came on the same year during the same weekend. Having been there so much in my humble opinion the only trouble spots are turn 12 and turn 3. Turn 1 can be a problem but only if you lose it way early in the turn otherwise you will simply skid across the infield (like most of the crashers in turn one do). This year turn 12 had the air fence installed plus turn 12 is usually ridiculously slow (most of the crashers never even skid of the racing surface). Turn three to me is scary its a sharp right hander comming off the back stretch of the oval heading up over the hill. But they had it filled with tire barriers and in all the years I have gone up there I have never seen anyone seriously injured in that location.

Regarding the 600 race I was standing on the fence at the starting line talking to the riders who actually came out for the start and between what they said and what I could hear and see from the factory fast guys they sure just looked like a bunch of primadonnas. The race went off virtually without a hitch for 23 of the 24 laps when two riders crashed (neither hurt) one was trying to push too hard to catch up and make a pass and the other was a victim of a rain slicked track. So to that end I say good for the privateers and congrats on the extra cake that the factory supported babies didn't steal from you.

I would also like to say kudos to the AMA for showing some stones and not cowtowing to the factory high priced superstars and getting the race underway without them. I mean give me a break give me the money these guys are making and I'll race in the damn snow without tires if thats what they want from me.
yzf1070 is offline   Reply With Quote