Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/index.php)
-   AMA Racing (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   The AMA's Wild Weekend at Loudon (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=684)

gixerlogan 06-18-2001 06:56 PM

Re: The AMA

Riiiiiiight, suuuuuuure....

Now knock you heel together and repeat after me: "There is no place like home..."

Sorry, but the ZX7R need a face lift. And as far as the win go, I'd go with 70% skill, 20%bike, and 10% Hail Marys.

Let me also put it this way:

If Kawi doesn't come up with something good next year, their bike sales will collapse, and only those blind loyals will provide whatever little support they can afford.

BBD_Racing 06-19-2001 05:58 AM

I ditched work for an hour to go watch it. WOW. Sufficient credit has nto been given to Eric. He was freaking awesome. Mladin was trying everything to pass him, but Bostrom was just plain faster. Not only that, Matt was riding his best and the bike was performing well. Freaking incredible ride Eric.

das 06-19-2001 07:01 AM

Maybe I should have included a smiley at the end of my post. My point was that Kawasaki needs very badly to update/remake the ZX-7 that they are selling to the public, and winning a race (or several races, or even a championship) in AMA Superbike doesn't change that fact, in part because the ZX-7R that you can buy is almost completely unrelated to the superbike that Eric Bostrom rides (and rides very well, IMHO).

sa-zukman 06-19-2001 09:15 AM

Have you ridden a ZX-7r recently? Must not, because if you had you would relize that they are heavy and terribly slow by todays standards, actually by 3 or 4 years agos standards. It is a testiment to E-Boz being a great rider in order to put himself on the top box.

sa-zukman 06-19-2001 09:18 AM

I think you mean Eric, not Ben

hawker 06-19-2001 10:23 AM

Re: The AMA - Sucks

I joined the AMA to support motorcycling, and motorcycle racing. The more I hear about the AMA's daily goings-on, the more iastounding it is that the AMA is able to maintain this facade.

The AMA's behaviour at Loudon last weekend, its dealings with Edmondson and Dan Lance (whom they hired as a safety professional, then attempted to banish from AMA events when he pointed out that they were not living up to their obligations to provide safe racing conditions), and the continuing saga of the airfence (where is it?) leave little doubt in my mind that the AMA doesn't give a about racers or racer safety.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not about to withdraw my membership, but i'm not going to shut up either.

The AMA, and VanDerSlice, can't keep this up in the face of public scrutiny and outcry - so if you care about Eric Bostrom, Nicky Hayden, and all the other racers out there, you owe it to them to go check out the Breaking News section at RoadRacing World and read about their shennanigans:

http://venus.13x.com/roadracingworld/index.html

My favorite is "They don't run the ama, we do, and it's us against them" Vanderslice quote when talking about racers who wanted practice laps before racing on the wet track in Loudon.

If they have this blatant a disregard for the safety of their top pro's, how careful do you think they'll be with your safety at the next amateur AMA event?

CarsSuck 06-19-2001 03:07 PM

Yes

I rode one last week, and it is heavy and outdated, but not actually a bad bike if you a) modify it enough to race in superbike, or b) don't race. My point was simply that it's not as if they race a completely different bike while the other guys are on stockers, they're all playing by the same rules and no one's bikes are the same as what's in the showrooms. The Kaw is a good enough platform that the race bike can still snag a win now and then and be fairly competitive for the most part. Of course it's mostly the rider, it's always been that way unless one bike really makes a design jump.

And by the way, thank you for refraining from using smileys, das. No one wants to see that $#&%.

BammBamm 06-20-2001 02:28 PM

Great post hawker. Couldn't have said it better myself. Prepare to be bashed by pro-AMA people on this website and invited to leave the country.

granny 06-21-2001 04:15 PM

Exceedingly well stated. The AMA needs a tail bone breaking wake-up kick.