Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 06-11-2001, 07:30 AM   #1
folski
Founding Member

Default Re: Lucky Mladin

I would never take anything away from Mladin, the guy can ride like crazy... And I would never deny that luck plays a significant if inconsistent role in every form of racing...

But regardless of what the rules say, I have a real problem with two factors that allowed Mladin to come away from this with points:

1) A crashed rider re-entering a race by virtue of a red-flag? C'mon - if you're out, you're out. Period.

2) Finishing the race on a different bike? No - I don't think so.... Sure, you may have to use one bike in practice and qualifying and another in the race - but you should finish the race on the machine you started the race on.

Racing is not about how many bikes you have or can afford to crash - racing is about a rider's ability to navigate a course with his equipment better and faster than anyone else on the grid. The AMA needs to recognize this on both the national/Pro level and the sanctioned club level.
folski is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-11-2001, 08:36 AM   #2
TitaniumCanoe
Founding Member

I agree. AMA races are getting to be like NASCAR where the officials can impact the results more than the participants. Having a red flag compress the field is one thing but allowing someone that has crashed out to restart with a fresh bike is total bs.
TitaniumCanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2001, 09:47 AM   #3
das
Founding Member

Agreed. If you're out, you're out, no matter waht happens later in the race.

Personally, I think that even compressing the field is way too generous. The riders should line up in the order in which they last crossed the start-finish line and be allowed to leave according to a stop-watch. If you were 27 seconds behind the leader when the red flag came out, you don't leave until the leader has had 27 seconds to get going.

I also agree with the run-what-you-started-with idea. When the red flag comes out, you ride around to the starting grid, park your bike, and wait until the track officials have resolved the situation. No tire changes. No extra fuel. No suspension tweaks. No backup bikes. If you screwed up your setup, or crashed and broke off your clutch lever, that's your problem. Tire warmers, maybe. No changes to the bike, though.

I can just see it now... each factory team enters a lackey into each race, whose job it is to cause a red flag in case the team's lead rider needs to pit.

das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2001, 11:20 AM   #4
CBR1000F
Founding Member

The stopwatch idea is a good one, but it wouldn't work. The reason it wouldn't work is because at the end of your '27 seconds' the rider would be at a dead stop, and the lead would be running flat out on his bike. Maybe timing them to leave at a measured interval, like 1 every second?
Old 06-11-2001, 11:24 AM   #5
hindle
Founding Member

First, I agree with everyone else. I too believe the rules should not allow a restart on a backup bike in the event a red flag occurs. I also think they should use the same timing methods used by the GP's. Too many times a rider gets a huge lead and bang a red flag and it's all for nothing. Didn't this same thing happen to Hacking last year. Same track if memory serves me correctly. He had a huge lead and nobody was going to touch him if he just kept it up right.

All that said we shouldn't be to harsh on Mladin for taking advantage of rules that other riders like N Hayden and Pegram used to their advantage at Daytona back in March. Hats off to Mladin for using the rules (no matter how stupid they may be) to his advantage and doing some great damage control in the 2nd race. I don't believe luck had to much to do with it. The odds of a red flag were in their favor and just about all the factory boys have backup bikes (not all but most) so he didn't do anything that anyone else woudln't have done or already has done in the past.

Once again though I think the AMA should look into some rule changes for the 2002 season. Would have put some added pressure on Matt to make up points had he not been allowed to restart on his backup bike.
hindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2001, 11:29 AM   #6
hackfu
Founding Member

Since everybody would be leaving from a dead stop, wouldn't the time gain just even itself out?
hackfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2001, 11:37 AM   #7
hindle
Founding Member

Why reinvent the wheel. Just use the same method over in Europe for GP's.
hindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2001, 11:45 AM   #8
hackfu
Founding Member

They start at the same time with revised (elapsed) timing, correct?
hackfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2001, 12:20 PM   #9
RRocket
Founding Member

Mladin was dreadful in the rain. Could this be the reason he is scared to go to WSB? They run alot of races in the rain over there....after all, he really has nothing to prove in AMA anymore...
RRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2001, 02:26 PM   #10
Gecko
Founding Member

It's more like a matter of Priorities. Suzuki like's being the "Big Fish" in the little pond that is AMA. While the rest are putting their big "Push" into the WSB or GP. Rather amusing there are more Ducs in WSB then there are GSXR's in AMA and that's saying a lot. Ben Bostrom sure hates the rain as well...poor guy. What's Yamaha doing now that they've pulled out of Superbike? are we gonna see a new Bike?????
Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote