Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 06-14-2001, 06:07 AM   #41
das
Founding Member

Default Re: Lucky Mladin

I still like my idea where each manuf brings 5 identically prepared bikes (plus backups) to each race, modified as the rules and money allows, and maybe a few mechanics. Each rider brings his team, sponsers, and equipment. Friday morning, a random drawing is held, whereby each rider is assigned to a bike.

Practice and qualifying are run pretty much as they are now, except that the rider and team are only permitted to change "set up"-type things (i.e. you can change the suspension settings, but not the suspension itself). Then you race.

The big advantages to this type of arrangement are that (1) the season-winning riders are really the best riders, not just the riders on the best bike, and (2) at the same time, the winning manfacturer can really claim to have the best bike, not just the best rider.

Part of the "random" drawing process would ensure that the same rider doesn't get the same manufacturer's bike too often.

What do you think?
das is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-14-2001, 07:44 AM   #42
Poser
Founding Member

Default Little pond with few fish

Another possible factor is that nobody else really makes a competitor for the Gixxer 750. They don't sell them in the US, anyway. That makes Suzuki's support for Mladin somewhat more understandable in the United States. BUT, it is a big world and lots of Europeans ride motorcyles. If nobody is supporting the supersport class, that makes it a smaller pond than you might expect. I really don't understand Suzuki's lack of interest.

As far as the 748, I really liked everything about it except the motor and the transmission. Suzuki transmissions have spoiled me for anything else. Even the Ducati motor was a little cruder than I expected. Both bikes would be wasted on a rider with my commuter's skill level, though. That is a moot point, because I can't afford them, either.
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2001, 07:52 AM   #43
stevegrab
Founding Member

While this sounds interesting, it has one major flaw. Having riders jump from bike to bike each event is too much to ask of a top level racer. Each bike has very different characteristics, and it would be difficult for the riders to get up to speed at each track when they're riding a different bike all the time.

I think racing has and always will be as much (if not more) about who has the best equipment and team, than who is the best racer. There also the fact that no manufacturers would go for this type of series with top road racing, because it prevents them from forging long term relationships with a rider. Like Honda does a lot with their AMA talent. They are signed with Honda, not that specific American Honda team. So next year if Honda want's Nicky Hayden to go to WSC, its up to them. They don't have to work out a deal with his current team to release him from a contract.

stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2001, 12:25 PM   #44
das
Founding Member

I dunno if I agree. I don't think that every racing series should be run this way, but at least one or two would be interesting.

I'm not a sports psychologist, and I'm not buddies with any top-level riders, but I would think that they would be up for the challenge. And remember, it's the same challenge for everyone (having to deal with different bikes all the time). It's not like they'd be racing against guys who get the same bike every weekend, so "up to speed" is relative.

Certainly, buy-in from the manufacturers is critical. You'd be relying on the draw of idea that the winning manufacturer has such a strong claim that their bike really is better than the others. No doubt that the manufacturer's competition would have to be as well represented in the media about the series as the riders competition, or there's no benefit to the manufacturers. It seems that the moto manufacturers, especially the Japanese ones, have no shortage of pride that they're willing to put on the line.

As for manufacturer's sponsoring riders... well, there's really no reason to that they cannot sponsor a rider in this series, but they would be relegated to a sponsor-only role, and they might not find that attractive.

Basically, if you got enough manufacturer's interested, and you could get enough sponsors for the riders, and the prize money was good... I don't see any reason why such a setup wouldn't be viable.
das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2001, 07:27 PM   #45
elitegroup
Founding Member

I would have to guess that the "elitegroup" you are from isn't MENSA.

Well keep talking I enjoy it..........

Oh and don't worry you won't get much of a fight out of me, I know Mladin is Mladin. Now wheather or not he's great as you say is worth a debate.

Lets start with he obviously can't ride in the "WET" very well shall we HA HA HA!!
elitegroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2001, 02:19 AM   #46
4in6
Founding Member

Default Re: Little pond with few fish

Suzuki trannies have spoiled you why you like notchy trannies and clutch baskets that crapp out
4in6 is offline   Reply With Quote