Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 06-13-2001, 04:13 AM   #31
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Default Re: Lucky Mladin

I would have to guess that the "elitegroup" you are from isn't MENSA.

Mat ALWAYS credits his crew and rarely about other riders or anything. He just rides and makes no excuses. He's no Cassanova of the Camera, but he is certainly not an a$$hole like Fogarty.

As for the full course yellow, there is no provision in the AMA for that. They had to go red to get Hacking's bike off the track and put the air fence back together.

One last thing: Imagine it was YOU who just crashed at 100mph. Your race is over. You are pissed at yourself. You then rode in on the crash truck to find that there was a red flag and you'd probably be going out again in minutes. You are hustling around getting a clean helmet together and psyching yourself up. Then a freaking journalist shoves a microphone in your face. How would you do? I'd probably tell him I was too busy to talk. Matt was great, as always.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-13-2001, 04:56 AM   #32
shikarioth
Founding Member

one major characteristic of motor sports is that the bike, car, or other vehicle is ran and has to cover whatever distance it is. This has always been in total contradiction with physical sports where the competitor may decide to switch skis, hammer, bicycle, sweatpants or chewing-gum. We are entitled to be slightly fed-up with races won by logistics, tactics and various forms of modern corruption as in Formula One which has become a circus show. Maybe we should watch someone else.
shikarioth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 06:48 AM   #33
TitaniumCanoe
Founding Member

I think that the viewers that are only interested in a "good battle for the win" have a somewhat superficial and passing interest in the sport. Fans that tune in every week and/or go to races have a broader interest and want to see competition involving both the rider, the bike, rider points, manufacturer points, etc. In any case, if the concern was only to provide an interesting race, let crashed out riders continue on a new bike but forgo the points. How many teams, even the ones with the deepest pockets, would want to make a contribution to fan excitement on those terms?
TitaniumCanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 07:07 AM   #34
Poser
Founding Member

Default Re: Sandbagging

If you want to accuse Suzuki of sandbagging, then fine. I doubt that they intentionally shortchanged KR JR, but who knows. Point being that Mladin has a great team that has the AMA wired. I don't blame him at all for staying where things work in his favor. Why would he jump to WSB or GP if he would be jumping to a sub-par team from a first rate team? Maybe Suzuki should take the entire Yoshimura team and move it from the AMA to WSB, if the Yosh team would agree to that.
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 07:31 AM   #35
Gecko
Founding Member

That was my point. Yosh Suzuki spends almost as much as WSB teams.
Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 10:49 AM   #36
metal
Founding Member

I personally thought Mladin was lucky. The rules are stupid, but he didn't cheat. He's an awesome rider and I'm glad he's not injured. That's all.

On another note, when they were showing some pre-race stuff and they had a shot of Mladin with that silly fog thing on his face, they were talking over it, but I think I heard him go, "I feel like a f**king duck." Great PR

I just started watching AMA coverage on Speedvision. What's the deal with the announcers? "He lost to a man with a better package... so to speak" Those guys are smoking something serious in that booth.
metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 02:04 PM   #37
Poser
Founding Member

Fair enough. I have wondered why, unless the rules are stacked against four cylinder bikes, Suzuki is not competitive in WSB. For that matter, why is the Gixxer 600 less competitive than you might expect in Super Sport? There is no competition other than four cylinder bikes.

Could it be that Suzuki sees the US as its primary market and does not care about other markets as much. If so, it is being short sighted, because there are a whole lot more bikes on the road in Europe than here. A whole lot of US club racers don't make up for ten times the number of bikes on the road in Europe. It makes for an interesting line of speculation about corporate priorities and direction.
Old 06-13-2001, 02:20 PM   #38
Poser
Founding Member

Y'know, it gets even odder if you look at all of the standings together. I was a little off in thinking that the Supersport class was all fours. I guess the Ducatis are 748s. The class leader is on a Ducati.

Anyway, the only classes that Suzukis are doing especially well in are the AMA Superbike and the European Super Stock classes. Suzukis are semi-competitive in the 600 classes, but hardly on top. In GP, KR JR is not even in the top five. If they can be overwhelming in the two classes that they seem to focus on, why do they even enter in other classes?

I ride a Suzuki and probably always will, so I like seeing them do well. I just wonder what they are doing and how they decide where to put their money. I am trying to imagine a bunch of marketing types sitting around a table and throwing darts at the wall to decide which series to dump money into...
Old 06-13-2001, 06:16 PM   #39
Gecko
Founding Member

Default little pond

And Ducati has pulled out of supporting the 748. those guys are all privateers. There is no way that a 748 could run on a GSXR600 unless the class isn't supported (which it isn't). Having test rode both bikes recently (insurance dreaming) I can honestly say that though I would buy a Duc over the GSXR(I'm a twin/single lover) the GSXR was way way fasterand handled better (not that I could use that handling) Given this I can only see Suzuki as wanting to be able to brag about something and another AMA championship is the easiest. BTW the World Supersport leader is on a R6 which while good isn't as good as the GSXR either nor is the F4I in second. but that is a Big pond.
Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2001, 04:14 AM   #40
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

I guess I am not beng clear here. Racing costs a ton of money. where does that money come from? Ultimately, it is marketing of some sort. Marketing the exciting racing (hence ticket sales), marketing merchandise (t-shirts and such), marketing bikes/parts and marketing non bike stuff (The Mummy Returns).

All are predicated on ONE THING: people watching the races. Whether those people are passionate about the intracacies of the sport (like us) or they are just there for the cool scene and want to see some crashes doesn't matter a whole lot. As for what the team does, the team gets paid by the sponsors. Under the rule you stated, the sponsors would probably want to see the bike out there, so they would probably ride.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote