Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 06-12-2001, 07:35 AM   #21
elitegroup
Founding Member

Default Re: Lucky Mladin

HA HA HA !!!!! Who is this guy one window up????? Ya I saw the interview with mladin after his crash. He was not the same a**hole he usually is did you not notice. Mat has been and always will be the "Bad-Boy" of the paddock. So I found his words Gracious as they been described to be nothing more than suspicious. As soon as I saw hacking on the hay bails I figured well hes out. Then a red flag???? he was ok wasn't he???? Pull his bike off the race line or where ever the hell it is (under a full course yellow) and keep the race going!!! I'm not saying Hacking crashed on purpose I mean chit hacking is good at crashing HA HA HA! I just find the whole thing rather funky because of Mladins overly-friendly-way unlike-mat mladin attitude. So piss on AMA one more time (like I did after the daytona problems) for letting mat re-enter the race and for dropping a red flag for a non injured rider incident.
elitegroup is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-12-2001, 08:26 AM   #22
BammBamm
Founding Member

One could also argue the sky is falling, that doesn't make it true. AMA sucks.
BammBamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2001, 08:28 AM   #23
BammBamm
Founding Member

If racing exists for the exitment of the fans, why don't we put in some jumps, fire pits, and have the racers ride naked.

WWF exists for the idiot fans, racing exists for competition. AMA rules simply get in the way of fair competition.
BammBamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2001, 10:52 AM   #24
stevegrab
Founding Member

Because then the AMA would be like NASCAR where the rules are structured to give exciting racing (at the expense of safety and other factors). Where else does each manufacturer have slightly different rules for the cars to make them "more competitive". And don't bring up the 750cc/4-cyl vs 1000cc/2-cyl issue, it may have been done to make Ducati more competitive to start, but any team (as Honda has shown) can develop a 1000cc twin.

No I don't follow NASCAR thoroughly so I can't probably give specific examples. But I've watched enough general racing programs to hear them talking about different body profiles, wing sizes and shapes dictated for each manafacturer at different tracks.

If we want a series where the racing depends solely on rider ability, then it would be something like IROC, with identically prepared bikes. And that may be exciting, but it would also lose some of its appeal since we'd all be cheering for one manufacturer.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2001, 12:24 PM   #25
Gecko
Founding Member

Afraid????I doubt it. Enjoying the fact that he is a step above the rest?? More likely. The Only Fear I see Maladin having is of the greater challange in the WSB. In Theory there are more folks of his caliber in GP and WSB. Big dog small pond
Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2001, 03:18 PM   #26
Poser
Founding Member

Could it be that Mladin likes to win and doesn't see much hope of that on a Suzuki in WSB? He knows how to ride the wheels off a four cylinder machine, but WSB favors twins. Maybe he has a contract and relationship with Suzuki that he likes. He would probably do just fine in WSB. He might even make Suzuki competitive, who knows. Even if he could overcome the rule based disadvantage of four cylinder bikes in WSB, why would he feel the need to do that if he can compete on an even footing? I don't see much wrong with his decision to stay in the AMA. He knows the tracks, he has a good team, he has a competitive bike- none necessarily true elsewhere. More power to him to make his own decisions.
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2001, 10:03 PM   #27
Gecko
Founding Member

Default Sandbagging

I don't buy it, Suzuki has a star in Mladin no doubt but the big boys play in the WSB (at least tech/money wise) not the AMA yet Suzuki put's all it's money into the AMA while Honda, Kawasaki, Ducati, and Aprillia (ok so they only play in the WSB and GP). They have last years champ in GP and yet they short change him. On paper it looks good that they won the AMA, until you see that they ran a World beater program in a backyard series. Where I'm from that's sandbagging...great for the ego but little substance.
Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 04:04 AM   #28
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Advertizers (including moto manufacturers) pay the bills. They pay the bills because fans watch the races. Fans watch the races because of exciting racing. There are a number of ways to achieve exciting racing.

1) NASCAR: make 'em all the same so that the winner is anybody's guess and lead changes are more frequent than Clinton-era policy changes.

2) F1: Put exactly the right limits to make it as expensive as possible. Watch as the team with the tech advantage decimates the field. Depend on fanatical fans and wonder why Americans don't care.

3) Supercross: Fairly unrestricted rules, but still, most bikes are pretty similar. Add in great riders and a great show. Buddy up to the Extreme Sports thang.

Etc., etc. The point is, there are many ways to make it exciting and all appeal to different fans. Most fans aren't nearly as interested in whether a rider can get on his backup bike or not - they just want to see a good battle for the win. We got that, and I loved every minute of it.

Again, this is Superbike, so all the competitive teams have huge budgets and can afford spare bikes, so it is no advantage to one team or another, but it keeps nice looking bikes out there with shiny sponsor stickers.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 04:05 AM   #29
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Advertizers (including moto manufacturers) pay the bills. They pay the bills because fans watch the races. Fans watch the races because of exciting racing. There are a number of ways to achieve exciting racing.

1) NASCAR: make 'em all the same so that the winner is anybody's guess and lead changes are more frequent than Clinton-era policy changes.

2) F1: Put exactly the right limits to make it as expensive as possible. Watch as the team with the tech advantage decimates the field. Depend on fanatical fans and wonder why Americans don't care.

3) Supercross: Fairly unrestricted rules, but still, most bikes are pretty similar. Add in great riders and a great show. Buddy up to the Extreme Sports thang.

Etc., etc. The point is, there are many ways to make it exciting and all appeal to different fans. Most fans aren't nearly as interested in whether a rider can get on his backup bike or not - they just want to see a good battle for the win. We got that, and I loved every minute of it.

Again, this is Superbike, so all the competitive teams have huge budgets and can afford spare bikes, so it is no advantage to one team or another, but it keeps nice looking bikes out there with shiny sponsor stickers.

I agree with any criticism of AMA safety and the need to make the points differences for 1st-5th places more drastic.
Old 06-13-2001, 04:07 AM   #30
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

I've got no idea why this posted twice. I hit the button once, but it appeared twice.