Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 05-22-2001, 09:05 AM   #1
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley-Davidson Happy about Road Atlanta

Say what you will... but I believe that progress is progress, and I'd be happy to see HD have a successful racing program.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-22-2001, 09:25 AM   #2
hamatsu
Founding Member

Personally, I'd like to see HD go the way of Excelsior-Henderson, Big Dog and Titan. They should stop fooling themselves into thinking that they can EVER be competitive against Japanese or Italian racing programs. Stick a fork in it already !
hamatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2001, 09:40 AM   #3
springerman
Founding Member

Why are you so worried if they race or not? seems that since it dosent cost you a dime for Harley to race, you guys wouldnt care. But it seems whenever HD and racing are said at the same time, all the SQUIDS get there pantys in a bunch. Just would like to know why.

P.S. Please think about it before you flame me, "Harleys suck, and so do you" is not a real good thought provoking reply.
springerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2001, 10:06 AM   #4
greatoldbikes
Founding Member

Default Seventh Place is cause for celebration?

Oh, well Hooo Rah! A huge American company making V-Twins since dinosaurs roamed the earth, with enormous resources, monster margins and gigantic R/D facilites comes up 7th against new V-Twins from Honda, Ducati and Aprilia? This is shameful. HD is sitting on its sales laurels. Any company with even a tiny bit of long-term vision could see that developing a WINNING racebike and a matching product line is going to preserve their market share, no matter how good it is now. HD is going to be in for a big shock at the sales of bikes like the VTX and other new power-cruisers being marketed to the sport-bike crowd. They don't need to scrap their current line or anything drastic, just get on with the R & D, get the new l/c engine out the door and win some friggin' races. Until then, no way will I but one of those slow, creaky HD cruisers. How about showing a little EFFORT, HD?

great old bikes
Old 05-22-2001, 02:29 PM   #5
bluedot
Founding Member

Default Harley-Davidson Happy about Road Atlanta

All the first race proved was how well their riders can do in the rain ...

nothing more

I think the second race (specifically the burning pile on the side of the track) more accurately summed up the effort we've come to see from the HD team.

It's pretty sad.

I wish better for them.
bluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2001, 02:59 AM   #6
TCAir
Founding Member

I could personaly careless about a Harley or it's racing program, but if they want to race so be it, but here is reality.

Harley doesn't race nor (for all intensive purposes) sell a sport bike. (The Sportster is not a sport bike, and the Buell is a Hooligan bike with good handling.) They actually don't build a fast motorcycle. (They don't, so don't argue.) Harley sells an image, name, and idea. They openly admit this. (Has anyone stepped in a modern Harley shop that wasn't about a third or more appareal???) Their sells don't go by "Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday's" philosophy. They build CRUISERS. Pretty motorcycles to be seen on, that is what they do. Why do they continue to disgrace what once was a proud and impressive racing history, with a charcoal brickette on a race track and saying they are pleased with the results.

I applaud them for giving it the effort, though.

To reply what does it do to me that they race, nothing. But to YOU the Harley rider, it jacks up the price of your already overpriced ride.

That is my beef with the Harley racing program.

Oh Yeah I almost forgot...

Harley's suck and so do you!!!

TCAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2001, 03:38 AM   #7
hamatsu
Founding Member

Default They do...through the carbs, ya' know !

Well, well...seems as though TCair beat me to the punch on that one. I actually wasn't gonna say that you sucked, in part, because I don't care if you do or not. If you're referring to me in that "squid" comment, I don't wear panties and don't consider myself a squid. That would have been about 15 years ago. I ride sportbikes because they offer the latest technology and are priced within reason. You're correct in that it doesn't cost me a dime for HD to race. I'm sure they pass those costs on to all the posers that ride HD's. They once had (about 40 years ago) a chance at being competitive and I think are still holding onto that heritage. My gripe is that they aren't even in the same league as the competition. Believe me, I don't lose any sleep over HD's next loss in road racing. It's like the sun rising in the morning....a given ! I guess if you really want to know why people get upset when HD and racing are mentioned in the same breath, it could have something to do with the fact that HD really doesn't care about racing and seems to be out there to be seen. More imagery for you. Isn't that what HD is really all about now....image ? Tell you what, next time a squid on a sportbike goes by you on your springer just try to keep him in sight and then you'll know what I mean. And, no, Buell isn't even close either..remember they use an HD engine. Pitiful, just pitiful.
hamatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2001, 04:50 AM   #8
cranx
Founding Member

I think lots of us would like to see HD succeed--then maybe they'd actually give us a modern machine and not just retro cruisers. But they've been making "progress" with that thing for what, 6 years?, and either they're taking microscopically small steps, or everyone else is making bigger ones. I say toss the thing, and start over with a clean sheet.
cranx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2001, 06:55 AM   #9
springerman
Founding Member

Default Re: They do...through the carbs, ya

Well, I agree with you that they are out gunned when it comes to racing, and with the money they have, they should do better. I guess I'm just happy to see them race, and get defensive when nobody gives them credit for at least being out there in the first place, and giving us posers someone to cheer for.
springerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2001, 08:22 AM   #10
granny
Founding Member

Default Re: Seventh Place is cause for celebration?

I pretty much agree with that view. What I don't understand is with as much resource as HD has, why HD has not designed a new motor over the many years that they been racing? Aprilia, Ducati and Honda have - and the other contenders have made significant and continuous changes to their motors (as well as the rest of the bike). I think that answer is clear, HD has no in house design skill to speak of. If they did why would they have Porsche design their next motor? Incidentally, the new Porsche designed motor is at least a little hopeful. If Harley made a bike that was as close to an R1 or GSX-R1K, as the Triumph 600 is to an R6 (and that's not too darn close) I'd seriously consider it. I am not however holding my breath waiting...
granny is offline   Reply With Quote