Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 05-23-2001, 07:58 AM   #11
CrustyOldFart
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley-Davidson Happy about Road Atlanta

I think if H-D want to race, that's fine. I'd love to see them competitive.

But, as the person who previously responded to you has pointed out, you need some serious help with the English language.

"for all intensive purposes"? That makes absolutely no sense! I think what you mean is "For all intents and purposes" which makes perfect sense.

It's difficult to make a compelling argument when you're spouting gibberish.

CrustyOldFart is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-23-2001, 10:31 AM   #12
Honda1
Founding Member

I think it would be awesome if HD started to do better in racing. Maybe then there would be an american made sportbike that I could buy. Now I ride a Honda that I love but I think it would be great to have a harley sport-bike ( at least something with a modern engine unlike the Buell).
Honda1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2001, 06:29 PM   #13
TCAir
Founding Member

Default Poor grammer aside...

Thanks for the English lesson you two. I will be sure to tell my College instructor just how poorly she has impacted my life. If you will notice the time of submission of said article, you will realize the message was clear, but the typing was lacking.

The point being, I do care. To see an American motorcycle co. disgrace itself in competition for whatever reason, is just foolish. As the previous post attempted to say, "Why is Harley marring a proud racing heritage..."

Rod, I am glad for you that you are happy paying twice the price for something to say Harley on it. Crusty Old Fart, please find something more preductive to do with your time than critize others typing and grammer.

I hope this clears everything up for Webster and Roget, respectively. I think Harley needs to get it's priorities straight and continue work on it's cruisers, or hire more outside help to improve it's sportbike.

P.O.F. (Point Of Fact) A visit today to the Buell/Harley dealership I observed something. I brand new Fat Boy with a

"Made in Taiwan" sticker on the license plate frame.

Just in case anyone wanted to know.

P.S. I am not affiliated with any Airline, it was a nickname given to me by some friends.
TCAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2001, 06:34 PM   #14
TCAir
Founding Member

Default Thanks for the support, and translation.

Thanks for the support and explanation.

Sleep deprevation from a 50 hour, four day work week will get to you.
Old 05-23-2001, 07:59 PM   #15
springerman
Founding Member

Hey,

no offense to you Hog boy's, but who gives a ship how someone spells, were talking about bikes and racing, not grammer and spelling. I think this is the worst part of the reader feed back, you go from a good conversation, and turn it in to a childish grammer contest.

And for the record I paid $18,000 for my springer, and while I wouldnt give it up for anything, I think that is a hel!uva lot to pay for a bike.

Ride and let ride
springerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2001, 02:33 AM   #16
Eric
Founding Member

Default Re: Seventh Place is cause for celebration?

A couple of quick points. First, I think the Harley racing effort is sad at best. I would very much like them to revamp the effort or get out. Now that they are working with Cosworth/Ford on for their racing program, maybe next year will be better. But to suggest that their design skill is lacking ignores what they have accomplished with the new Twin Cam given the constraints that the 45 degree V-Twin air cooled twin has. And to say that they should abandon that design ignores that without that design, they would face a great deal of backlash from their customers.

As for Ducati, Honda and Aprilia. Ducati sticks with desmodronic valves for the same reason that Harley uses a 45 degree twin -- heritage. Desmo heads are not the best design, but they are a Ducati trademark. That being said, Ducati gets help from Ferrari and others on racing engines and transmissions. Aprilia? Please note that Rotax, an Austrian company, builds the engines for the Mille and the Pegaso -- the latter of which is basically identical to the BMW Funduro. Honda's racing effort draws on a great deal more than motorcycle expertise -- they are able to take lessons from all of their automobile and racing efforts. Even with these vast resources, Honda stuck with the V-4 in Superbike for way too long.

This is not to excuse Harley's racing effort. But to suggest seeking outside advice means a complete lack of design skill while mentioning these other companies ignores the outside resources they call on.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2001, 06:40 AM   #17
Daniel_Gerous
Founding Member

Maybe they are happy because the VR1000 was over-insured.
Daniel_Gerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2001, 06:58 AM   #18
TCAir
Founding Member

You, Rod, are just a jerk. Instead of adding something to the discusion you decide to just criticize others typing, spelling and grammar. Please go to another web site if you are not going to, at least, try to stay with the topic.
Old 05-24-2001, 07:05 AM   #19
TCAir
Founding Member

Default Hey Springerman

What do you think of the liquid cooled Harley engine? I think it will be heavy for a sportbike, but the new numbers look impressive for a cruiser.
Old 05-24-2001, 07:43 AM   #20
springerman
Founding Member

Default Re: Hey Springerman

Got mixed feelings about the water cooled motor. You are right about the numbers looking good. on one hand, the main thing I like about HD is the history, and water cooled goes the other way. BUT, it shure would be nice to have, I hate it when my brand new bike starts smoking when the temp hits 105 deg. hear in the desert, still will not be on par with Jap. bikes, I dont think, but at least it would be a step in the right direction.

I think that IF HD is going to have a good sport bike, most of you guys are right, they have to start all over with a new motor.

Had a GSXR 750 once, shure would love to ride a bike like that that was made in the U.S.

I have seen to many jobs leave U.S. for cheaper labor, so I kind of feel like I should try to buy american.
springerman is offline   Reply With Quote