Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 05-04-2001, 12:03 PM   #1
MattTinSF
Founding Member

Default Re: Friday Practice from Sears Point

Damn, right next door and I can't make it to the races!

But I have a question for you Ricky Racer types: Why does Miguel still pretty much dominate the 600 class, but seems to be struggling (at best) in the SB class?

I've watched both him and his dad in competition (yes, that's how old I am) and between them I think they have probably done more for m/c racing than any two other people. Wish I could seem him this weekend, but I'm off to Montana to explore wedding sites instead (my, "Gee, honey, don't you think Sears Point would be a GREAT place to get married? didn't quite fly....).

1st post?

MattTinSF
MattTinSF is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-04-2001, 12:30 PM   #2
CBR1000F
Founding Member

That didn't fly, huh? Well... Good luck then. Will she still let you ride when you've tied the noose? Whoops, I mean the knot.
Old 05-04-2001, 12:42 PM   #3
hindle
Founding Member

I don't think he has been anymore dominant in 600 then Superbike. Eric Bostrom, Jamie H, Roberts and Nicky H. have been the dominant forces in AMA 600 for the last couple of years.

I think Duhamel is good and obviously still has what it takes to win but time and injuries are catching up to the man. He is just as fast has he always has been. He's just not that fast every weekend anymore. Let's face it. He is nearing the end of his career.
hindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2001, 02:42 PM   #4
a929rrrider
Founding Member

seems to me that 600's are easier to handle due to a lack of horsepower. The 600 class is limited to i think 105 rwhp and the suberbike are running at about 180rwhp. Thats a big difference. The 6's are wide open most of the time and the superbikes require a little more skill to put the power to the pavement.
a929rrrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2001, 03:12 PM   #5
metal
Founding Member

Absolutely untrue. If I remember correctly, Hacking's R6 was putting out around 120 hp at the wheel last season. It is, however a very different kind of racing from the big bikes. Last year I got to cornerwork when AMA came to New Hampshire. I also saw the tape later, and what keeps blowing me away is watching Nicky Hayden entering corners. Rear wheel up in the air, both wheels sliding into turn 1, the rear end wiggling all over the place into turn 3, etc. -- can't quite race heavyweights like that.
metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2001, 04:37 PM   #6
zxguy
Founding Member

Go the Go-Show!!
zxguy is offline   Reply With Quote