Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 12-19-2006, 07:21 PM   #1
drthompson65
Founding Member

Default Re: One Racer's Opinion Regarding The Future Of AMA Superbike

first! AMA Superbike racing is already dead..
2004 Ducati 999 Mono Yellow (Wrecked May 06)
2006 Ducati 999S Mono Black (Replaced Wife June 06)

1972-2000 A collection of mini, dirt, and road bikes to vast too list..
drthompson65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-19-2006, 07:37 PM   #2
ksquid
Banned

Na next year will be good. Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda, and Kawasaki all in the hunt for the first time in years. Too bad Ducati isn't in there to finish last. Seriously, kpaul expects 1000cc to continue for awhile till we see a move to 800 cc V-4s*. Now that V-Twins are dead in racing 4s can go back down to a sensible size. Remember the move to 1000 cc inline 4s was caused by the RC-51 and Duc 998 dominating WSB. Now that folks have seen the light.. a golden era of V-4s is about to begin. Bikes will be more powerful and agile .. Rejoice...

* God told kpaul via a burning tire..
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 07:44 PM   #3
schizuki
Founding Member

"Seriously, kpaul expects 1000cc to continue for awhile till we see a move to 800 cc V-4s*."

Why 800 cc V-4s? What is so magical about this combination?

"Now that folks have seen the light.. a golden era of V-4s is about to begin."

The V-4 Interceptors came out in - what - 1983? V-Fours have had over twenty years to become the preferred engine configuration. They haven't. Why will that change?

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 07:53 PM   #4
schizuki
Founding Member

BTW, what folks are you talking about and what light have they seen?

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:17 AM   #5
pdad13
Founding Member

Well, the GMP doesn't remember that Honda tried and tried with all its considerable might to make V-4s dominant on track and in the showroom.

Alas, they were too complex, expensive and heavy--oh, and not all that competitive. Sure, technology has improved in the last 25 years but the V-4 is far from the be all end all.

I don't see Yamaha dumping the I-4 in MotoGP (as if MGP bikes have all that much to do with the bikes we buy, anyway). Or any of the Japanese manufacturers dumping their I-4 production bikes.

I do predict more wild speculation coming from KP's ass, though. Of this, I'm certain.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 02:14 AM   #6
pdad13
Founding Member

Well, the GMP doesn't remember that Honda tried and tried with all its considerable might to make V-4s dominant on track and in the showroom.

Alas, they were too complex, expensive and heavy--oh, and not all that competitive. Sure, technology has improved in the last 25 years but the V-4 is far from the be all end all.

I don't see Yamaha dumping the I-4 in MotoGP (as if MGP bikes have all that much to do with the bikes we buy, anyway). Or any of the Japanese manufacturers dumping their I-4 production bikes.

I do predict more wild speculation coming from KP's ass, though. Of this, I'm certain.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 02:47 AM   #7
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I bet in another 20 years they will be running 500cc bikes for the same reason they are going down to 800cc in MotoGP. It isn't to make them go faster, it's to make them go slower. Maybe if the GMP knew how to read, he would have read that the 1000cc bikes are too powerful for most tracks, and are therefore unsafe. The tire explosions at Daytona a few years ago pretty much told us that. It's the same reason NASCAR got restrictor plates for large tracks. They are going too fast and are too powerful for safety. Going to 800cc effectively, and temporarily, slows them down to a controllable level.....for now. It doesn't take a genius, or a GMP, to know that 800cc will only be a temporary level. At some point in the future, they will lower the displacement again, or restrict the intake size, or use other methods to slow the bikes down. Change was around the corner about 3 years ago. I'm glad this guy finally saw it.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:09 AM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

I see this as a positive thing. Since the squidlies are followers they'll suddenly "realize" that smaller is better and will be buying 800cc bikes in droves soon. This means the resurrection of the 750-800 class middleweights... the truly divinely inspired displacement for the 4 cylinder. People will be riding 750s again, like God intended.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:21 AM   #9
maladg
Registered Member

Default The Kookmeister Prognosticates

"...bikes will be more powerful and agile"

Wow! What an example of courageous, idiosyncratic, out of the box thinking!

I suggest a collection to buy the Squid some tools: Priest Robes, a HIGH podium, a short lectern & one bullhorn (for the deaf, of course).

Yup, that should suffice.

What would give me a good laugh: Squid gets a guest star role on NCIS as Gibbs' newest newbie. The entire NCIS group gets to slap him on the back of his head every time he dramatically discovers the obvious.

I report - YOU decide!
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:34 AM   #10
maladg
Registered Member

I was so busy having a cheap laugh at Kook's expense that I almost - but not quite - forgot my actual point...

The usual suspects above are right. When I read this, my reflexive response was: "who cares? racing is now so esoteric and removed from the reality of day to day riding that it is just irrelevant except as entertainment".

But as usual, my initial reflexive response is wrong. Traction control! Powerband control!! Honda was way out in front with the mid-90s ST11 with ABS & TCS but who bought one? - 10 zillion cruiser riders didn't even bother to yawn. Now suddenly power characteristics can be selected (new 1000 Gixxer) and there was that cryptic blurb in MC Daily about the DTC on the new 1098 - Ducati traction control. Hmmmm...

Yes, the future will be very, very cool and racing will still be improving the breed.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote