Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 03-14-2001, 08:10 AM   #1
elitegroup
Founding Member

Default Re: Russell Update from HMC

I know this may be an early request, but I'd really like to hear it straight up. Is scott going to be able to race again? I hope he is becuase I really want to see him ride that Ducati. I sent a few cards to halifax in hopes they bring a smile to his face. Having several severe injuries in the past myself I know the pain, but can't compare the extent of it. Fix him up doctor ting so we can see him "Shred" once again!
elitegroup is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-14-2001, 09:00 AM   #2
minime
Founding Member

He's able to move all his toes/fingers, so, as of now, the prognosis -- from what we're told, at least -- is that he should be able to get back to winning ways soon.

Personally, I think Scott's a good guy (we all have our moments, right?) who was looking to turn things around this year. He was stepping up to the plate with a loaded gun and people behind him that beieved in him, and Scott believed in them.

MO wishes Scott (as well as the other racers that were injured) a speedy recovery.
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2001, 09:21 AM   #3
stevegrab
Founding Member

One report (a story at AMA Soup http://www.amasuperbike.com/russellingravecondit.htm) I read said both bones in his arm were shattered. They do not yet know if there is nerve damage. He does have feeling in his fingers, but there is a lot of swelling in the tissue.

I have to say, if Scott told the team owner's he'll be back soon, he probably will. Besides, there is no AMA racing for almost 2 months (next round May 4-6 at Sears Point). So there's a lot of time to recuperate.

Good luck Scott, hope it doesn't sound as bad as some of the reports.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2001, 02:28 PM   #4
JasonVS
Founding Member

Really simple question in no way meaning to detract from how bad this accident was, but what is the proper way to deal with a stalled bike on the grid?

He didn't seem to put his arm up very high at all, and then when he did try to pull off he got hit. Hindsight being 20/20 makes it look like if he hadn't tried to move off the road IMMEDIATELY before the green flag he wouldn't have been speared.

Was it correct for him to pull off the grid? I'm sure it made sense at the time, but the guy behind him thought he could run the gauntlet.

What's the rulebook and etiquette say?
JasonVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2001, 03:07 PM   #5
TK57
Registered Member

I'm sendin' a card to him, too. I wish him a speedy recovery. Man, I can't wait to see him on that Ducati, being a serious challenge to all the current "top riders". I was hoping he wouldn't retire because of this accident. He has nothing left to prove to anyone. He races 'cause he loves it.

Go Scott, and Go Ducati!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-15-2001, 01:35 AM   #6
biaggi
Founding Member

The bike was rolling forward so my guess is that he stalled the bike when he was feeding the clutch as the flag/light went green. If so, there really isn't much safe to be done, but hindsight might say: (1) stay in a straight-line, and (2) raise your hand as high as possible. There isn't much benefit to looking behind you.
biaggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 02:36 AM   #7
RobGixxer750
Founding Member

Default He seemed

For a second I thought I was watching Mika Hakkinen from last year in Formula 1! He appeared to have a changed attitude this year, confident, but not overly vocal and smug/ attitude, it was good to see. He has skills, no need to back it up with anything more than on the track, right?

Hope he's back out there soon, sounds like he's gonna be fine.

Rob
RobGixxer750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 08:09 AM   #8
stevegrab
Founding Member

Good point Biaggi. I mistakenly thought he was paddling/pedaling/walking the bike off the grid. But after I watched it, you could clearly see that he was coasting.

Still, he probably should have stayed in a straight line, and put his hand up, really high, waving it. From the tape, it looked like he might have thought there was nobody there, as he suddenly steered further over, then you can see his body language as he sees the bike coming at him.

Don Emde (former racer and Daytona winner) posted comments at AMA Soup that were interesting. But I think he was also mistaken like I was, Scott was not actively trying to push the bike off the grid, just steering towards that side.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote