Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 03-12-2001, 10:49 AM   #21
Detroit
Founding Member

Default Re: Rebuilding Year for Harley-Davidson Superbike Racing

Harleys race program has sucked for what? 7 years?

I heard Steve Schieb (I think that is how schieb is spelled) was a real clog in the river of progression as the Former Harley race manager for the past 7 years. Maybe with him out the team is progressing a little.

Anyways they might be devolping a New Superbike for 2002 or 2003 that might have a

Buell nameplate. Only makes sense. Only question will be how many will they produce and how much will it cost?
Detroit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-12-2001, 11:12 AM   #22
Neal
Founding Member

Rumor has it that the long awaitedHD/Porsche collabarative effort will hit the showrooms during 2002/2003 and owes a lot to the VR1000 engine.Perhaps HD' plans may be coming clear....the Vr1000,Buell and the new watercooled engine may be propelling them into the 21st century.we can only hope.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 12:39 PM   #23
dirtybmxr
Founding Member

Exactly what "Buell tech" is used in the VR?? They use a purpose-built motor and a twin-spar frame. Also, they do NOT need ANY kind of a TC88 to help them race superbikes, I can promise you that. They need a new motor and more importantly, some outside collaboration (Porsche stepping up?). That being said, they sounded good (for a change), and Pascal ran very well for a while . . .
dirtybmxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 12:46 PM   #24
chopperdog
Founding Member

Expect the liquid bike late this summer.
chopperdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 12:58 PM   #25
stevegrab
Founding Member

And will they sell them in the US or Poland, like the VR1000.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 02:58 PM   #26
kman
Founding Member

They could use the water cooled Porsche engine, but I think they would be better off buying their engines from Rotax and hiring Rob Muzzy (or someone like him) to improve the engines and run the team. Of course they need a completely new bike IMO, but they could almost completely outsource the engine from Rotax.

Aprilia is running a Rotax built vtwin, and Troy doesn't seem to be hurting to bad on it.
kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 04:08 PM   #27
Grover
Founding Member

The main advantage a 60 degree V has over the 90 degree design is compactness. The VR can use the front cylinder as a structural component and add stiffness to the chassis, which according to Picotte is excellent. In a 90 the front cylinder just hangs off the front of the engine. Also, the engine can be located farther forward in the chassis which probably helps get weight on the front wheel and can allow for a longer swingarm or shorter wheelbase, whichever is preferred.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 05:36 PM   #28
flyntiger97
Founding Member

You forgot Gobert. I would love to see a competitive HD entry. It is a joke when you have to celebrate a 7th place finish (and over a lap back at that). They need to get serious or get out. That 70's fairing may look nostalgic and that is a part of the corporate image, but it won't cut it on the track. Forget about the motor. If I had been considering a Buell purchase, that race would have ended it for me. You knew almost every time an HD rider came by. You didn't have to see them. You could hear the machine backfire.
flyntiger97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 07:36 PM   #29
Ace
Founding Member

Default Re: HD+Racing=LOL

First off, HD will NEVER enter WSB for fear of global embrassement! If they have to sweat blood & tears fightin the AMA bikes- how do you think they will hold up to the 190hp/355lb Superbikes? Im pretty sure they would get lapped quite a few times.

7 yrs of "rebuilding" & the best they finished was a podium 3rd place-lol. Keep on trying HD.

"Reporter: Mike Smith, you just finished a strong 7th after most of the front pack crashed out- what are you gonna do next?"

Mike Smith: Im going to Disney World! Yeeeaa- Baabbyy!! Wheres my champaign?"
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2001, 05:20 AM   #30
hindle
Founding Member

I agree the fairings are butt ugly. Just another attempt on Harley's part to be different then everyone else.
hindle is offline   Reply With Quote