Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 03-12-2001, 07:36 AM   #11
FLSTF
Founding Member

Default Re: Rebuilding Year for Harley-Davidson Superbike Racing

I'm a big Harley fan, owner, supporter... But I find it mystifying they continue to race an old air cooled, push rod motor that is perfect for cruising, but not racing. I believe with all of the development work going on with the new liquid cooled motors they may actually be developing a racing motor not based on cruiser technology. If thats true they are probably developing the rest of the platform to carry that motor in the interim. If I were in charge of race team engineering, I wouldn't give everybody a year or two off while we were waiting on the motor. I would be developing the rest of the bike to be cutting edge when the motor got there. It was a good race though, plenty of excitement and I may be a Harley rider but I couldn't help but pull for Miguel Duhamel, I wish him better in the next race!
FLSTF is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-12-2001, 07:38 AM   #12
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Clearly, Harley is kept afloat by great riding and lotsa luck. The VR1000 belongs in the Museum of American Embarrassment.

Harley calls being 5 seconds off the pace "a strong performance." Yeah, right. Their technical efforts remain pathetic and I wouldn't hold my breath for Ford's involment to fix anything. I envision lots of money being spent and little results for at least two years.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 07:57 AM   #13
Eric
Founding Member

I actually think the Ford involvement could be good as it means that Cosworth will be helping with the engine. Cosworth has made winning engines in F1, CART, and numerous other auto racing series. Don't see why they couldn't help Harley build a good one.

That said, I am a little disappointed that Harley has taken so long to re-evaluate the program. The VR1000 has never really been competitive. I agree with the above post(s) that a succesful Harley team could bring in new fans.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 08:03 AM   #14
MoMo
Founding Member

Default Ha Haa

While they're at it, they may as well design new body work. That thing is by far the ugliest bike out there. It looks like any number of bikes from the '70's.
MoMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 08:13 AM   #15
JoeBuell
Founding Member

The VR1000 is niether air cooled or push rod.
JoeBuell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 08:47 AM   #16
hindle
Founding Member

As much as I hate to agree with JoeBuell I belive he is right.

I've seen the bike in the paddock a few years ago and if memory serves me correclty it had quite a huge radiotor. It would never survive on air cooling alone. Nobody would. It's also fuel injected. They had the tank up or off and you could see the large throttle bodies on top of the engine.

It's also a 60 degree V-Twin instead of the traditional 45. I'm almost positive it's got over head cams.

Why HD choose 60 degrees I don't know. I belive all the manufactures are using a 90 degree design like Ducati. Honda, Bimota (last year before they pulled out of the WSBK) and Apprilia.

It seems as though being different is more important and everything else is 2nd. Once Harley stops trying to be different they will start being competative. Until then. They suck. Right Joe.
hindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 09:15 AM   #17
Bluebandit6
Registered Member

They need to call it the 'Buell Racing Team', after all Harley is just using Buell tech to get them there. They really need a true sports variant of their '88' and some new think to make difference in the way they will be percieved in racing or in the marketplace. They made us take notice, but let's see if this newfound seriousness translates to the marketplace. Good luck.
Bluebandit6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 09:17 AM   #18
JoeBuell
Founding Member

Hindle is right, VR1000 is a 60 degree twin, water-cooled, OHC. I actually didn't know it was a fuelie.

Can't say why they choose a 60 degree angle, however, I believe the Aprillia RSV Mille is a 60 degree twin, and doing quite well in WSBK.

As much as I hate to admit it, they are currently not competitive. I do hope the new race team will improve things.
JoeBuell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 09:38 AM   #19
jrpetruzzi
Founding Member

What a superbike! Harley bends the AMA rules about selling so many bikes to the public. Now Harley nails a 7th place due to attrition. Maybe we should let Harley run 50 laps in a 57 lap race so they can get on the podium! After all they are an American company.
jrpetruzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 09:39 AM   #20
hindle
Founding Member

I didn't know the Aprilia was a 60 degree twin. If so HD should take some notes cause not only did Troy C. win a handful of races last year (which I believe was the first year out for the bike) he also cleaned up yesterday in both race 1 and 2 of the WSBK opening round in Valencia.
hindle is offline   Reply With Quote