Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   AMA Racing (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/ama-racing/)
-   -   Three in a Row for Andrew Hines. (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/ama-racing/4068-three-row-for-andrew-hines.html)

ksquid 11-13-2006 11:57 AM

Re: Three in a Row for Andrew Hines.

Heck may as well be NASCAR then.

Buzglyd 11-13-2006 12:24 PM

The most important line was the "who've never been to a dragrace" part.

ksquid 11-13-2006 12:38 PM

NHRA is to reality as NASCAR is to real stock cars.

1. Not even a real V-Rod. Not Stock

2. You can't go into HD dealer and order one.

3. Massive displacement advantage.

3. Stock 1/4 mile times are the real thing. Stock V-Rod 1/4 mile times are very slow compared to any Suzuki sport-bike.

ksquid 11-13-2006 12:40 PM

P.S. NHRA has nothing to do with AMA and vice versa..

seruzawa 11-13-2006 02:02 PM

Amazing isn't it? Someone who never paid one bit of attention to motorcycle drag racing in his entire life is suddenly the world's expert. After an hour reading pages on the internet. More reliable than fox news!

ksquid 11-13-2006 02:07 PM

" After an hour reading pages on the internet. More reliable than fox news!" Seruzawa, I chock it up to superior reading comprehension and objective thinking. Thanks for the compliment. I can send you a list of books that might help you, Buz and longweasel if you like. But you have to read the books first :)

anrajala 11-13-2006 02:10 PM

There are other factors than number of cylinders and revs. For example OHC engines are vastly more efficient than their pushrod counterparts.

When the first pushrod engine won the Indy 500, ever, (Ilmor -94), it was only because the rules favored them strongly. They were allowed 29% more cc and 50% more boost. This is V-8 against V-8. When the following year the boost advantage was reduced, Ilmor went back to OHC.

- cruiz-euro

Holy_Kaw 11-13-2006 03:56 PM

It's also easier and faster for the "flame front" to burn the mixture in a smaller displacement. Bottom line, generally, all things being equal, YES, for a given displacement the engine with more cylinders has an advantage peak power production wise. You can think of them as a heat pump, the more heat the more potential for power, in general, in a reciprocating internal combustion engine. This does not mean one is "better" than another for other than that, narrow, purpose. Many different factors determine an "ideal" engine for an application not the least of which being "what you want", most already know this, some are "getting there". Water cooling (oil coolers can help alot for air cooled engines) and advances in ignition and fuel delivery are big reasons "modern" engines produce much more power than they used to, for a given displacement, they can make more heat (which is converted into rotational inertia put simply) without "blowing up". Bore/Stroke ratios can help give an engine different "strengths". Variable valve technology has much promise to increase efficiency further (5 to 10% across the "rev" range would be a huge improvement) of course, everything else being equal, this will make for a heavier engine, with current technologies. I could go on for a bit but I'm not in the mood.

HelterSkelter 11-13-2006 04:20 PM

Is that the same AMA who lets Buells run unrestricted in super bike and said that Ducati's had to have the same displacement as 4 cylinder bikes?

Gimme a break.

Holy_Kaw 11-13-2006 04:49 PM

What article are you referring to? Even the Suzuki guy allowed that 140 C.I. might be fair for the Harley. In Formula Extreme it looks like the AMA may have to give the HD/Buell a bit more, somehow, to be competitive. Any time a class has different basic configurations it will be necessary to adjust the "formula" to reflect competitive realities. I'm all for it. When the flag drops I want everyone in the "class" to have as even a chance as possible. I want a good race. I don't care much about how they even the competition.

I think it's a good thing for Harley to be active in Road and Drag Racing, it's good for the sport. They're not going to be there unless they have a change to Win. As you follow these types of series you'll notice that they're always changing things to try to level the playing field, the guys not doing so hot are always griping about the "rules".