Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 03-11-2001, 04:06 PM   #1
Aerosmithe
Founding Member

Default Re: Results from Daytona 200

First Post!

Crazy race, the 200 was. saw it on ESPN and part of it from my dorm window since I go to college in Daytona. 3 red flags. Duhamel crashing out, Picote running 6th until engine trouble late in the race, Hayden restarting 2 laps back on lap 4 and finishing 10th, Yates crashing and to the hospital, Bostrom finishing 2nd. Interesting start to the season
Aerosmithe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-11-2001, 04:08 PM   #2
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Abe's Daytona Analysis

Well, it was clear that Matt was the one to beat, but practically every other rider favored to win went out in a crash or was out of the running due to mechanical problems. Kind of lame, actually.... I really wanted to see Mladin, Hayden, Russel, Bostrom, and Duhamel all battle for the lead, but it wasn't meant to be. The incident involving Russel at the second restart was particularly ugly, by the way. Ouch!
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2001, 04:37 PM   #3
SB8RC
Founding Member

MAN AM I PISSED!

WHAT IS UP WITH RAMSEY ON THAT 4 STROKE?

IS IT JUST ME OR ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO SINGLE <ul> ALL[/list]JUMPS WHEN THERE IS A YELLOW FLAG OUT? he is suck in inconsiderate f*ck. I'm soooo happy that pastrana whooooped him!

i hate pontiac aztecs too.
SB8RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2001, 04:39 PM   #4
SB8RC
Founding Member

Default DONT WORRY ABOUT THE MISTAKES

harley dont deserve to race.
SB8RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2001, 04:51 PM   #5
wsmc787
Founding Member

Please, if anyone knows the health and condition of Mr. John Pearson #44 (he broadsided Scott on the restart when Scott somehow stalled his Ducati), please let me know! This was perhaps the worst Daytona 200 I've ever watched... I was sick to my stomach seeing these guys crash the way they did. Thank God everyone appears to have non-career ending injuries so far. I pray that everyone (especially Scott and John) heals from their injuries quickly.
wsmc787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2001, 04:53 PM   #6
wsmc787
Founding Member

also, John Pearson is a good friend of mine and I've been trying very hard to get information anywhere about his condition and well-being. If any of you find anything, please let us know!
wsmc787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2001, 05:59 PM   #7
drwarr
Founding Member

Default What was that pace car doing out there?

The first crash-red flag occured when Curtis Roberts slammed on the brakes on the back stretch to slow for the pace car. Apparently he, nor several others did not see the yellow flags. He then got rear ended by several riders.

What was that pace car doing out there going so slow? Why weren't there more/better yellow flaggers out with the warning?

Too bad about Scott Russell - man did he get creamed.

TW
drwarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2001, 06:02 PM   #8
BONGTOKER
Founding Member

I woke up this morning ready to watch the biggest race ever the Daytona 200. My stomach has butterflies just thinking of the start of the 200 and to the 2001 season. The flag drops and I am about to pee my paints. 75% through the first lap and Mladin has a huge lead and I think to myself this is going to suck seeing one guy out in first not battling with anyone. Then comes the crashes the bikes breaking riders getting hurt WHAT THE HELL. I was very disappointed in the 200 today. I sit here writing this in a pissed off mood and no way to make it better but to wait for the next race to start and see a good battle up front. I send my prayers to the guy that died in the Pro Thunder class and to his family, also to the riders that where hurt today and hope a speedy recovery. The one good thing that happen today was to see Ben get third in WSBK and then to get smacked back down with the stop and go on the second race. What a F*%@ up weekend!!!!!!!
BONGTOKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2001, 06:08 PM   #9
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Kurtis didn't slam on the brakes, he rolled off (just as he was supposed to), then Bonehead Hacking rammed him and Yates. Yamaha needs to get rid of that joker. I hope Aaron is OK. Congratulations to Kurtis for finishing his first 200 in 3rd with a busted up hand and an ill handling machine.

Speaking of the RC, that thing has some serious steam. Did you notice how Miguel was toying with Mladin? He let Matt around him than ran him down on the front straight. The Suzuki is a great bike, but Honda has really got its ponies in the stable now. Sad that Miguel biffed it out of the race. He was very, very likely to have won it.

As for Russell, I am sorry to see that happen and I hope that he and the other two riders are OK. Still, he really screwed up. One of the first things you learn in roadracing is if you have a problem, DO NOT pull off the track. Rather, put your hand up and wave it, signifying the problem. People will find their way around you. Scott swerved left and caused the crash. Really strange to see such an experienced rider make that sort of mistake. I hope he is not too badly beaten up.

Lastly, endless kudos to Eric Bostrom for wringing that old Kawasaki's neck to a 2nd place finish. On a competitive bike, Eric could easily take the championship. Speaking of which, I heard a rumor about a Kawasaki liter twin in the works.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2001, 06:36 PM   #10
fast4ward
Founding Member

Lousy race with pitiful coverage by ESPN2. "Hey there's something interesting about to happen, lets go to commercial" - fine, but it is PRE-RECORDED!!!!

Why do you insert a commercial break then resume after something has happened!

Why the hell do they still even run this race? A bike race held on a track made for redneck car rivers to go around in circles for hours? Safety? Who cares - if these guys don't do it, somebody else will step up and put their life on the line. The FIM would never allow a motorcycle race to be run within inches of a concrete wall (ask DuHammel how that feels when it all goes wrong, and you hit the wall hard) - and the AMA just continue to show what a complete bunch of assholes they really are by including this track (and other speed ovals) in their schedule.

Bottom line - if they didn't, they would only have about 5 races in their season. Leave the speed bowls to the redneck nascar jerks, they aren't for bikes. And they are boring too.
fast4ward is offline   Reply With Quote