Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 03-12-2001, 06:24 AM   #31
intruderman
Founding Member

Default Rooting for Nicky

I started watching sometime between the second and third red flag. Nicky was out of contention by that time, and the commentators didn't say a word about him until near the end of the race. I was yelling at the TV: "What about Nicky?!!" through the whole race, because they never said anything about what happened in the earlier crashes.

They kept promising to show a replay of the Duhamel crash but they never did. Did you see Miguel's broken clutch lever? How in the world did he ride that thing back to the pit?

What a wild, and disappointing race. I certainly hope the next one is a little more about racing and less about crashes and red flags. I also was hoping to see Mladin, Roberts, Hayden, Bostrom, etc. in a tight race.

One more comment, Picotte must be a glutton for punishment or else he would have ditched Harley by now.
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-12-2001, 06:34 AM   #32
Sparky
Founding Member

Default Re: Results from Daytona 200

I agree. ESPN coverage SUCKED! When they weren't cutting to a commercial break, they had graphics all over the place advertising their next stock car event. I'd much rather listen to that annoying brit annoucer on speedvision...at least you see the race!!!

Also the AMA and Daytona Speedway SUCK for raising the price of admission and cutting back on what you get for it. What is it with Day. Int'l Spwy anyway. They treat stock car fans like golden but bikers $$$ isn't worth *^#%.

Used to get access to infield and grandstands for about $35. that's when the 600cc and superbike races were the same day. Now you have to fork out $40 for the same access (not including paddock area) plus $5 if you're in a cage (bikes still free...wow) on friday to catch the 600cc SS and then another $80 on sunday to catch the superbike race. give me a break. What if you want to take your family? Is this the NBA??? In addition, every year for the last 6 years, less and less of the track is accessible for the admission fee.

As far a boring races though, you should have been at the 600 SS. One of the most exciting races I've ever seen!! Eight riders so close, as the annoucer said, "you could cover them with a band aid!".
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 07:47 AM   #33
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

I dunno what the rules are in other racing leagues, but in the CMRA, it is clear:

1) Second wave must have their clutch hands in the air whilst the first wave is going. It is literally impossible for a second wave guy to go during the first wave.

2) If you stall at the start, raise your hands and wave them. DON'T try to move, as the guys behind you will then have to guess what you are going to do. It is dangerous any way you slice it, but staying put is the best rule.

Starts can be scary (I once had a guy wheelie and then virtually land on my throttle hand), but Russell is an experienced pro. My guess is he thought everyone was already by him and he wanted to get out of the way for the second wave.

He was probably in mid-expletive about Ducati reliability when he got hit.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 11:21 AM   #34
dirtybmxr
Founding Member

I hope I never get gridded behind you . . . . I am pretty sure that most experienced racers will agree in asking you to please sit still and put your hand up if you stall in the grid. If there's a chance you will get rear-ended sitting still, then what are your chances parked sideways across the racing line?

Like you said, we don't even know for sure WHAT Scott was doing (trying to do).
dirtybmxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 12:08 PM   #35
stevegrab
Founding Member

Default Re: Rooting for Nicky

That was cool watching Duhamel ride the bike back to the pit. Especially after they started showing some close-ups of the damage. We thought, "Hell just throw another clip-on on that side, and screw the clutch.

Similarly, they commented about how tough the race was for Kurtis after his crash. He banged up his left hand pretty bad. It had to hurt a lot to use the clutch. Possibly not doing it all the time on upshifts. But still a very valiant effort.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 12:12 PM   #36
stevegrab
Founding Member

Default Re: Scott Russell injuries

Really? I'll have to watch it again to be sure (I was in a sports bar with 50 motorcyclists), but I could swear I saw him pedaling (with his feet) the bike to the right side of the track, attempting to get it off the road. I could be wrong, if so I guess it wasn't Scotts fault. I wasn't trying to say he got what he deserved by what I said. Like him or not, he got nailed hard and nobody wanted to see that.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2001, 03:39 PM   #37
BammBamm
Founding Member

ESPN2 missed the event itself, but got Gobert parking it on the grass just past the pits. His tire blew violently at 180 mph on the banking, and it took him till past the pits to get it stopped. He then slumped on the bike putting his head on the tank. The announcers thought it was disappointment, but Gobert finally got off the bike and his pit crew rolled it away. When it rolled, a huge amount of the chording in the tire flopped out. It looked like a burlap sack attached to the wheel. The pit guy then got to Gobert, who was white as a sheet, and Gobert explained he just passed someone, then without warning the tire popped. He said it was quite a moment at 180. Wish the guy he just passed had an onboard camera. Yikes!
BammBamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2001, 02:08 PM   #38
ranmaddox
Founding Member

I was at the race and was disgusted by the crashes. Matts Suzy was faster on the banks then anyone elses. Migel crashed on cold tires AGAIN! Nicky missed a gear and blew his engine. Scott almost got killed. Sooooo, there was no one to give a decent chase. Nicky somehow got from the back of the pack to run with the leaders (2 laps down), so he had the speed with the back up motor. In short, the only races worth watching were the first half of the 250 and the amazingly close Thunder. You all should have been there.
ranmaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2001, 05:27 PM   #39
drwarr
Founding Member

Default Mladin agrees with me

This is from Motorcyclenews.com:

" In my opinion there was no need for the pace car to come out for the first accident, " said Mladin. " And there was a lot of confusion about the flags. Something needs to be done about it. "

http://wwwtest.motorcyclenews.com/ra...2497&pageNum=2
drwarr is offline   Reply With Quote