Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 03-12-2001, 05:01 AM   #21
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Default Re: Results from Daytona 200

Whoops on the Yamaha thing, I meant Suzuki. So, I'll restate, Suzuki may have made a mistake with Hacking. Remember, he was the guy who caused last year's 600cc pileup as well.

As for what racing org I learned in, try the CMRA. You know, the guys who produced such medicrities as Freddie Spencer, KevinSchwantz, Doug Polen, Jamie James and Colin Edwards. Bunch of clueless amateurs, really.

I'll restate for those too old and crusty to think straight: On the start, you never change your line when the bike quits. If you stay predictable (as in stationary with arms waving), the guys behind you have a fighting chance to miss you. Russell screwed up by trying to move right and thereby caused the accident.

Thankfully, he is in better shape than I feared (although a broken femur is no party). Nobody said anything about the other two riders who were involved. I hope they are OK.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-12-2001, 05:07 AM   #22
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

The AMA does certainly need to improve its record concerning rider safety-related track layout and such.

As for ESPN2, the thing that really torqued me is that we missed DuHamel's crash, DuHamel's first pass on Mladin and numerous other things whilst watching that slow moving disgrace to American engineering (the Harley) circulate five seconds off the pace.

Kudos to Picotte and Smith for riding that "bike" as well as they did. As for Harley getting serious and going fast with Ford's help, I'll believe it when I see it. Maybe they could just repaint some Mille's and add a few conchos and fringe. That way they'd have a shot at winning and still kepp their base happy.
Old 03-12-2001, 05:09 AM   #23
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

I don't think it was his chain. As I understand it, his tire tore itself apart and exploded on the banking. Nearly has a 180 mile per hour highside. Geeze, for Gobsmack to be as shaken as he sounded, it must have been a scary moment.
Old 03-12-2001, 05:12 AM   #24
stevegrab
Founding Member

Default Not sure....

Maybe Daytona 200 is bigger than Suzuka, I don't know. But I'm guessing maybe this guys world is just a little small, like the US only, so he didn't think of Suzuka.

He is right, the Daytona 200 is huge, a fixture in American motorcycle racing. It probably never will go away (I'm not sure that it should). It is different for other reasons (the length, requiring pit stops and such). But you should notice that more and more of the AMA races are moving away from the Oval/infield type circuits. (Whether that be because of safety or other factors like schuduling.) They no longer race at Las Vegas as they did a few years ago. And when they tried to hold a round at the new oval/infield track at Raceway 66 in Joilet IL (back in 99 I believe) the racers said it was unsafe and they would not race their anymore. I can only think of a few place where they still race on an oval/infield type track, those being Daytona, Pike's Peak, and Loudon. Maybe I'm forgetting one, like possibly Brainerd, that might be an oval/infield track too.

Still I agree they are unsafe, and would like to see most of them gone. But Daytona is a legendary thing. It would be like suggesting they no longer race at the Isle of Mann (definitely a very dangerous place to race). I know, the "professional road racers" that are on regular series (WSC, AMA, 500GP) teams don't participate there.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 05:27 AM   #25
stevegrab
Founding Member

Default Scott Russell injuries

For anybody that hasn't heard yet, and is curious, I read on some other sites that Russell suffered a broken arm and leg. He was the only rider mentioned of those that crashed that has any serious injury. Aaron Yates was taken to the hospital with leg, arm and head injuries. He was given a CT scan, and treated for some minor injuries. He was seen that evening walking around the paddock, without any obvious injuries.

All the riders that were involved in some of these incidents were really lucky that there were no more serious injuries.

I still wonder about Russell's decision to try to get off the track. I've seen conflicting information in these comments as to whether a stalled rider should attempt to get off the grid. I am not a racer and have never been on the track. But I do follow racing a lot. I can see trying to get off the track if you are all the way on the outside/inside of the grid. But Russell was in one of the middle slots, and had to cross a slot to get off the track. That just doesn't seem wise. It seems that trying to move out of the way (at a crawl, walking the bike) while other bikes are trying to launch past you is more dangerous than just standing still.

Oh well at least he wasn't hurt too bad. Of course our condolences go out to the rider that died in Pro Thunder (read here in somebody else's comments, but haven't read any news story about it yet).
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 05:48 AM   #26
Aerosmithe
Founding Member

Default Re: Scott Russell injuries

Yates may have been walking around, but he did end up with a concussion. As for Russell, stalling a bike is a herky-jerky affair. Chances are he wasn't trying to get off the track. When he stalled the bike, he already had his feet up. Maybe the shake the engine causes when it stalls, combined with the sudden deceleration of the bike, caused it to start to fall off to the side. It certainly didn't look intentional to me.
Aerosmithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 06:46 AM   #27
hindle
Founding Member

It's a scary thing to be on the grid and stall. Frightenting in fact. Sometimes it's scary just being in the 2nd wave. I've seen guys not pay attention and start when the green flags drops for the first wave. I had a guy next to me once that jumped and then almost flipped over he hit the brakes so hard. We were in the 2nd wave and the flagged dropped for the first wave and he took off.

He ddin't hit anyone thank god!

I don't know what happened but maybe his bike stalled before the flag dropped and he thought he had enough time to push off to the side. It's hard to say what happened.

The TV coverage didn't show enough to being passing judgement. All I know is if it were me I would have tried to get off the grid with all those guys behind me if my bike stalled before the flag dropped. Simply waving your hand up isn't enough. You want to get the hell out of the way!
hindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 07:09 AM   #28
intruderman
Founding Member

...and chrome, don't forget to add more chrome!
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 07:13 AM   #29
intruderman
Founding Member

Default Gobert lost his tire at top speed

I was watching when ESPN2 was talking with Gobert about his "incident", and Gobert was obviously shaken, and said that his tire blew at 180mph. Momma! He was walking funny afterwards, probably because he had unloaded in his pants!
Old 03-12-2001, 07:15 AM   #30
intruderman
Founding Member

Default Re: Despain and Maier.

I love those guys! Man, you are too critical!