Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 03-10-2001, 02:47 AM   #11
christianl
Founding Member

Default Re: Miguel Wins his Sixth Daytona Supersport Race

5:30 est on espn2
christianl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2001, 04:46 AM   #12
CrustyOldFart
Founding Member

No, but I'd lay money that there won't be more than 1, 2 at the most in the top 10. The GSXR is the most race ready in stock form, but I don't believe anyone but Mladin has a chance to bring home the bacon. It'll be fun to watch, especially to hear Russell's excuses afterwards. That assumes he doesn't get his butt kicked in a bar tonight.
CrustyOldFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2001, 05:48 AM   #13
superbikefan
Founding Member

I'm also tired of the Ru$$ell hype...if you consider Daytona 600 Supersport wins (6!), and three 200 wins, Miguel Duhamel is the true master of Daytona. This man just seems to have endurance and race smarts, and pulls something extra out of himself here. His comeback from major injuries is also impressive, and he never seems to make excuses or complain- just calls it as it is. He also has been loyal to his team; doesn't jump manufacturers every two seasons for a bigger paycheck. Respect due.
superbikefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2001, 08:06 AM   #14
stevegrab
Founding Member

The GSXR750 is the most predominant bike in the 750 Supersport race. A lot of those riders also compete in the Superbike race, on essentially the same bike, with slicks. This is common in the AMA series. Does it mean they are the best? Well, it is the only mass produced bike that fits the Superbike class (except for the twin cylinder machines, RC51 & Duc 916/996).

stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2001, 08:09 AM   #15
GreyOne
Registered Member

Way to go Miguel! There were a few postings last year from some "experts" who thought you should retire and make way for a younger rider. Not many of us would climb back on a bike, let alone race at this level, after breaking a leg 2 years in a row. Honda is well represented by Nickey Hayden, Curtis Roberts and Duhamel.
GreyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2001, 09:16 AM   #16
Speedo
Founding Member

I've travelled to Daytona three times in the past, usually arriving on Thursday night or Friday morning.

It amazed me that most of the persons attending bike week don't go to the races! The best place for viewing is the Winston Tower on the front straight. Get your binoculars going and you can watch the progress of the race and your favorite.

As cold as it is here in Ohio, I wish I were now in Daytona. Come on, Dougie. You're not through yet.

Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2001, 10:37 AM   #17
Doughboy
Founding Member

Long Live The King.

God Bless, Mr. Honda
Doughboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2001, 02:27 PM   #18
kzluva
Founding Member

Isn't the ZX-7R mass produced?
kzluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2001, 11:09 PM   #19
FBG542
Founding Member

Everyone said Miguel should retire I think not , the guy just won't quit .. Good luck tohim and the rest of the Honda guys.. Also ESPN2 will air the 200 @ 5:30pm est.4:30pm ct.
FBG542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2001, 04:33 AM   #20
gixerlogan
Founding Member

I don't know if you saw Matt's $200,00 bike in one of the magazines, but this bike is far from stock. This bike is putting 185hp and weighs at ~360lbs. The hondas are probably around the same figures with more torque, ofcourse.

These guys MODIFY the hell out of the so called "stock bike" to get these numbers; things that you can very well do with any brand name bike. The GSXR is an excellent bike to modify but I strongly think that within the first 10 positions SKILL will only get you 1st place
gixerlogan is offline   Reply With Quote