Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 09-28-2006, 05:12 PM   #1
FrankS1
Founding Member

Default Re: AMA Reading MO?

When I first started going to motorcycle races, the dirt track events (flat track, and TT, primarily) all ran that kind of qualifying. As a spectator it was fun, since we got to watch a lot of comptetition with different riding styles.

I think it is good that the AMA is experimenting, also.

About the only drawback I can think of is that the start grids will be smaller. Keeping the field somewhat smaller cuts into the "fun" (if you want to call it that) of watching the factory sponsored teams playing games with each other, using the slower riders as obstacles.

Well, the track time will be used up for the premier events, at least on the "primary" race day, so alternate, less popular classes will have to run another time.
FrankS1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-29-2006, 02:36 AM   #2
acecycleins
Founding Member

They announced this format back in the spring. I think they should use the heat format for ALL support races and run a "real" super-pole for superbike. It sure would be cool to see some priviteers have good runs in the heat format.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:10 AM   #3
anrajala
Founding Member

Only twenty to race, the rest having their own lame-ass loser race? They should wear day-glo neon colored security vests to complete the humiliation.

Another bad news is the starting grid position by heats. What´s wrong with basing it on pure times?

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 11:33 AM   #4
ksquid
Banned

I think what started some of us on MO thinking (last year) about heat races is when some races last season were being decieded by backmarkers i.e. they just got in the way and made the racing less close. 20 should keep the number of backmarkers and race stoppages to a min.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 11:34 AM   #5
ksquid
Banned

Default Time trails are boring.

I like it. It would draw more fans to the races i.e. they would see races rather than time qualifying which is boring to spectator.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 01:56 PM   #6
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Everybody that races is a potential backmarker - even YOU, KPaul.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 05:24 PM   #7
anrajala
Founding Member

Default Re: Time trails are boring.

Screw the spectator. F1 had recently this tire episode in the stateside where most of the teams had tires that proved to be unsafe. They were not allowed to change them as the rules prohibited it. The race was done only with a handful of the cars with predictable result and people were crying foul.

But it was a right thing to do. In America, in NASCAR or any other motor sport, something would have been invented to bend the rules to allow hearty competition and a good show for the people who turned up & paid up. In Europe, its 100% bloody cut throat and and a spectators are mere spectators.

See the F1 qualifying in China in three and half hours (3:00 AM Bs As time)

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote