Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 08-12-2006, 09:26 AM   #31
TomSmith
Founding Member

Default twins/ fours, etc

You mean like the street legal Ducati Desmosedici V4? I am waiting to win the Lottery and then I'll pick one up for the measly $65,000 they want for one..
TomSmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-12-2006, 03:44 PM   #32
yellowduc_1
Founding Member

Default Re: Actually

Actually you are incorrect. In the case of the Ducati piston speed is the limiting factor. Extreme bore to stroke ratios adversely affect power delivery. Ducati has pretty much reached the limit on the development of the current format. With the changes in wsb they are maintaining the lead by spending stupid money. That is why the other Ducati teams are not particularly competitive. They don't have the budget and the factory is finding that even money has it's limits. As to how profitable ducati is let's just say that the definition of profit in the Italian m/c industry is somewhat suspect.
yellowduc_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 03:50 PM   #33
yellowduc_1
Founding Member

Default Re: How about Desmodishi Street Edition...

Seems to me the CB750 was an I4 not a v.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:04 PM   #34
ksquid
Banned

Explain why velocity=speed is the limiting factor? Be specific i.e. scientific.. hint = F=ma...
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 02:56 AM   #35
bigdx
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati Superbike Boss Threatens To Quit AMA Series Over Rules

"Capitalism and a free market RULE"

How is forcing a manufacturer to build a motorcycle not dictated by market forces but by artificial rules for racing an example of capitalism or a free market?

The free market is why Ducati makes twins; AMAÂ’s idiotic rules are acting against that.

"they'll be forced to make better engines, "

I am no Ducati fan, but you are exhibiting a high degree of ignorance if you are saying the 999 motor is not as good as anything you get in a ricer.

"and all of us MORONS will benefit!"

Right now we have singles, twins, triple and fours to choose from we go to purchase a motorcycle. How is that a bad thing? You think having only i4s to choose from would be to our benefit? Absurd.

bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 01:09 PM   #36
tomk2
Founding Member

"Add all this to the fact that Bayliss has an almost insurmountable lead in WSB, and I can't see how anyone can sit through Ducati's whining with a straight face."

Ducati isn't whining about WorldSBK rules, they're whining about AMA rules and having to develop a totally different bike for AMA than WorldSBK or BSB...

anyhow WorldSBK is definitely going to allow 1200 cc twins next year. At the same time they'll take away some of the engine mods that twins are currently allowed.

KTM, Aprillia and Ducati will all release 1200 cc twin sportbikes in the next year

tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 06:08 PM   #37
yellowduc_1
Founding Member

The formula is: stroke (in inches) x rpm divided by 6 = piston speed in feet per minute. A 999R at peak HP (9750 rpm) works out to 3761.8 fpm. A 1203cc Buell works out to 4320 fpm at 6800 rpm which seems to be pretty high from what I've read. It isn't just material problems that begin to creep in though. Power delivery (ride-ability) begins to be an issue as the engine geometry get more extreme (bore to stroke and stroke to rod length ratios). F1 cars have a 2:1 bore to stroke (or more maybe). The reason they sound like they idle at 7000-8000 rpm is because they do!! It takes a lot of computer power to make them usable as race engines. Hope this adds to the confusion.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:15 PM   #38
theovenmits
Founding Member

Then WSB will be the 'Ducati Cup' again. As a direct result of their freaking whining...

...and before you mention Aprilia again, their racing program is in shambles - and KTM has none to speak of. The 1st challenger to a 1200cc Ducati will be a 1200cc Honda RC65 v-twin in 2009. Such a motorcycle will win 3 races that year, Ducatis will win the rest. Boring. Suzukis, Yamahas and Kawasakis will be relegated to the being the backmarkers they were 3 years ago, because they don't have the racing budget that Ducati does - but you don't hear them complaining....

As much as I like Troy (Bayliss) it's really boring watching him win every other stinking race.
theovenmits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 05:04 PM   #39
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

But the late-'70s NR500, all the VF models throughout the '80s, the VFRs (RC30, RC45, NR750 etc.) are all V-fours.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 05:56 PM   #40
yellowduc_1
Founding Member

True and all the 50cc 's were horizontal singles all the dreams were parallel twins and the ultimate, most incredible ,GP bike was a 250cc inline 6. Then they built the CBX another I 6 for the road, and a kickbutt V twin sportbike (RC51). And all the CBR-RR's are I 4's.