Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 07-24-2006, 10:36 AM   #31
Neal
Founding Member

Default Re: Laguna Seca Formula Xtreme Spoiler

They used to badge Woods/Rotaxes as harleys but I believe that partnership is over.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-24-2006, 10:43 AM   #32
Tigercub
Founding Member

I think of Buells like the Triumphs - excellent sport-touring motorcycles - perfect for the average rider.

Racing is another subject. The factory bikes - those that finish in the top 10, require a huge factory committment and lots of money. Triumph has wisely decided not to risk the money for uncertain gain. Plus, I believe racing is defined by the manufacturers in conjunction with a regulatory body making sure everyone follows the rules formulated for that manufacturer's bike. The Big 4 have decided not to destroy each other and it's that tacit support and playful competition among themselves that keeps them all in business. They're not stupid. Occasionally they allow another bike manufacturer to play for a while - like Triumph, Buell or Ducati. A little percieved competition helps them, but we'll never see Buell enjoy anymore than the occasional win as long as Jap bikes are on the starting grid.

Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 11:47 AM   #33
Thruxomatic
Founding Member

Default Re: Rotax lighter??

It is, but it is light for its size and seeing as it already has a 300cc smaller displacement, I took it for granted that it would be lighter all around.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:49 AM   #34
Thruxomatic
Founding Member

Default Re: Note that...

The announcer said it had been withdrawn due to some difficulty with the bike.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:35 PM   #35
nweaver
Founding Member

You can make the SYSTEM lighter, even though the engine will be heavier (waterpump, radiator, coolant, all together will add a nontrivial amount of wet weight).

There are two big savings: the cast iron lump is really REALLY bad weight wise, even being air cooled. And not only the material, but the design. Split engine/transmission and all that crap. Heck, the primary drive chain alone probably adds 2-3 lbs of needless crap, that no other engine category in the world would do.

The second is that with a non-buzzy engine, you can use it as a stressed member. The frame needs to be so huge (and its not any stiffer than a Japanese I4) simply because the engine can't be used as part of the frame.

So overall, the system weight should be the same or even less with a good liquid cooled engine.

For all the "Weight is king", the XB9r dry pushes 385 lbs. A Daytona 675's dry weight is 365 lbs.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 12:37 PM   #36
nweaver
Founding Member

Alot less unobtanium than in those factory Buells.

Formula Xtreme does have a lot more restrictions on 600s than on Buells in terms of what can be done.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 01:54 PM   #37
manalagi001
Registered Member

Harley was bold enough to develop a new water-cooled engine with Porsche for the V-rod. Why not get serious about their Buell line and give them a fighting chance with a purpose-built, clean-sheet race engine? I just don't understand why given all the work they've put into creating a unique, and perhaps best-in-class chassis.

manalagi001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 02:19 PM   #38
gt750
Registered Member

Default Re: Buell's Future......

Oh come on! ...a viable race platform. Not until they receive a modern liquid cooled overhead cam four valved motor can they hope to be on top! Well I guess if they put in a new engine every time they pit, then they would win a race or two!
gt750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 05:58 PM   #39
brax4444
Registered Member

Default Re: ask BMW...

BMW?!? I don't get it, sorry!
brax4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 06:03 PM   #40
brax4444
Registered Member

Which Buell is cast iron?