Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   AMA Racing (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/ama-racing/)
-   -   Bostrom Rules The Buells (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/ama-racing/3601-bostrom-rules-buells.html)

nweaver 05-21-2006 12:54 PM

Re: Bostrom Rules The Buells

Engine a: The Buellish engine. It has 100 ft-lbs of torque from 3k to 6k RPM. (Assume that it is near zero above and below)

Engine b: The other engine. It has 50 ft-lbs of torque, from 3k to 12k RPM. Engine B's transmission is also geared twice as low.

Engine A and B make the exact same horsepower (as horsepower = torque x RPM)

So at, say, 30 MPH, the Buell in gear 2 is ticking over at 5k RPM. Engine B is ticking over at 10k RPM. Both engines are in the upper end of the meat of the powerband, and are happy.

In fact, both engines are making exactly the same power! If you open the throttle, you will get EXACTLY the same amount of thrust.

But back off on the speed in 2nd gear to 15 MPH, as you slowed for a tight, tight turn. Now the buell is ticking over at 2.5k RPM, below the powerband and lugging. If you didn't downshift, the engine's gonna be pissed at you. While engine B is now at 5k RPM, which is still in the powerband. You CAN downshift engine B into first to get more thrust, but you don't have to.

If someone had a Japanese engine that had a redline/torque dropoff of 12k, but didn't get started to 6k, you'd complain that it is a "peaky, narrow powerband". But thats excatly what the Buell is: it has a peaky, narrow powerband, as only about 50% of the revs from 0 to redline are useable.

davidhaner 05-21-2006 02:12 PM

Re: Maybe Buell shouldn't race

That and $8,699.00 plus setup fees will get you a new Zx6R. On second thought, maybe they'd waive the setup fees as they gasp at brilliance.

ksquid 05-21-2006 02:35 PM

Offf topic stay on topic

ksquid 05-21-2006 02:37 PM

The topic is motorcycles don't hijack this thread.

ksquid 05-21-2006 02:44 PM

You think folks could at least stay on the topic...Or is because you can't accept kpaul told you so about the Buells...The Buells will never win an FX race using the current engine..The great motorcycle prophet has spoken. If Triumph is allowed to compete in the AMA, they will win a race. So say we all...

BMW4VWW 05-21-2006 03:46 PM

Kpaul railing against others trying to hijack a thread! Pretty funny eh Buz?

ksquid 05-21-2006 04:42 PM

Buz only does it when he is losing an agrument. :)

ksquid 05-21-2006 04:43 PM

By the you are off topic.

Dangerousdave_2 05-21-2006 09:34 PM

The way I look at it, is that some really torquey engines run out of breath about the time they should be getting busy. You find yourself shifting up because there is nothing more to be had from that particular gear any more. What I like about my VFR is that, if I am shrewd about what gear I select, I can start rolling on some throttle mid turn without getting all light in the front end, and have some tach left when I straighten out, and that four cylinder rush is ready to assert itself. I've got good power from maybe 6 to 11 k, which is a 5k power srpead, and I don't think I end up shifting any more than I do when I ride my friends Monster, which makes it's best power at lower rpm. I don' t have to shift down as much with the Monster, but I have to shift up more often. I've never ridden a Buell, but I can only imagine it would be like the Monster, only much more so.

stoney8888 05-22-2006 01:58 AM

the topic of this thread is not that people are off topic