Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 04-30-2006, 10:36 AM   #1
gforces
Founding Member

Default Re: Bubba won't ride Superbikes

...plus they wouldn't take too kind to triples.
gforces is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-30-2006, 10:46 AM   #2
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default General observations from Saturday

I wish the Superbike crowd could get its act together from a marketing perspective. This is a fabulous sport with embarassingly small crowds. $ pizzas would have fed everyone yesterday.

It's a great bargain for sure. A $30 general admission ticket got me in and my son was free. AMA is blowing it with the scheduling though. The Supermoto races run almost the entire time which provides non-stop action, however, those races should stop prior to the main event! We're trying to watch the racers grid and listen to the track announcer through the din of 30 thumpers on the Supermoto track.

The racket went on through the national anthem and the start of the Superbike race. You couldn't even hear the main event when it went to the backside of the track. Extremely annoying and not befitting the main event.

Spectators are allowed into the Terrace Suites above pit lane which makes for an awesome view. Those seats would be a small fortune at a NASCAR race!

The Saturday race was pretty dull except for the battle between the two Ducatis and Duhamel on the Honda.

I might need to allude to the demise of every other motorcycle but Suzuki in racing.

AMA you've got a great product but some significant mistakes were made regarding the Supermoto scheduling which really took away from the quality of the main event.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 10:59 AM   #3
giuliom
Registered Member

Regarding Fontana, it's obvious that there is a marketing problem. We are in the heart of SoCal, arguably the motorcycle capital of the US, and there were empty seats on the small set of stands for the Superbike race Saturday? Also, at decent tracks (Laguna Seca) you have screens to see the action in part of the tracks you can't see, and a decent PA system keeps you informed. All that was nonexistent or pathetic. The "expo" was also pretty pathetic: I would expect more vendors to come in and sell to the motorcycle crowd. I hope the crowds are better today, although the nice thing is that you were never in a line that was more than 1-2 minutes wait.

Still, AMA is missing the boat.
giuliom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 11:39 AM   #4
stlarson
Registered Member

Street racing should be huge in the US. If you look at how we love our sports stars, singular and flamboyant, on the surface it seems like a perfect fit. Whereas with team sports a marketing department does its best to separate the individual from the team and promote fanatical followings, with street racing you've already got that part of things covered. To top it off, the guy is just sitting on a couple hundred pounds of metal flinging his body down the track at absurd speeds and angles.

If NASCAR can take anonymous cars running in one godawful, boring circle week after week and build an empire on personality, what could AMA do with a race series that is actually interesting to watch?
stlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 02:19 PM   #5
tomk2
Founding Member

AMA Superbore... one competitive team and a bunch of also-rans and privateers

There was more passing and lead changes in todays 250 GP race than you'd see in a whole season of AMA Superbike
tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 03:11 PM   #6
ksquid
Banned

Default Quit your day job in 2009

Perhaps when President H. Clinton takes over in 2009 and enacts legislation to enable Medicare to cover all Americans you can quit your day job and do marketing for the AMA...Seriously you have some great observations and I am sure they could use someone with serious Marketing talent like you.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 04:32 PM   #7
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Quit your day job in 2009

If everyone is covered by Medicare I won't HAVE a day job. I'll be sitting home unemployed like everyone in France.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:05 PM   #8
ksquid
Banned

I think there will be a big market for supplemental insurance to cover gaps. Basic care is what the ProMedicare for everyone are promoting... like the rest of the industrailized world including Japan, U.K. Germany, Italy and.... of course France... see the trend..
Old 04-30-2006, 05:08 PM   #9
ksquid
Banned

In addition it shifts the cost burden from the Private sector to the Public sector. i.e. lets companies focus on what they do best... i.e their core compentencies...making money not providing benefits..
Old 04-30-2006, 05:39 PM   #10
Buzglyd
Founding Member

You might want to check the unemployment rates and GDPs of those countries.

Anyway, don't turn a racing thread into a health insurance thread.

I think the AMA should try to piggyback onto NASCAR events perhaps. Imagine having the Superbike race the same day as the Busch race at the California Speedway.

It's a damn shame that Michael freaking Jordon is involved in Superbike racing and still no one has heard of it!