Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   AMA Racing (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/ama-racing/)
-   -   Carmichael's Fuel Issue Being Reviewed by AMA Pro Racing. (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/ama-racing/3355-carmichaels-fuel-issue-being-reviewed-ama-pro-racing.html)

exyzfst 02-28-2006 03:29 PM

Re: Carmichael's Fuel Issue Being Reviewed by AMA Pro Racing.

2nd First Post in one day!

Are you all slleping?

Nana na Boo boo again!

DaveFla 02-28-2006 07:11 PM

Five thousandths of a gram per liter - How much lead is that, really? Anybody know how much was in the old 'leaded' gasoline formulas?

tripletango 03-01-2006 03:52 AM

Go Chad !!!!!!!

pplassm 03-01-2006 04:28 AM

This is a no-win situation for the AMA. They look like buffoons eother way. Remember, this rule has been enforced against Kawasaki and Yamaha already.

The purpose of the rule was to combat additives that would allow high compression 2 strokes, especially 125's, to be competitive against four strokes. They should have junked the rule, as no one is running 125's anymore.

03zx12r 03-01-2006 05:46 AM

But to penalize a competitor for an offense that is completely beyond his or his team's control is not our purpose - this is proof that the rules need to be changed. If you ordered a 55 gal drum of race fuel as your race frequently does, would you check the fuel before you used it? - No. You just order what the rules tell you to.

acecycleins 03-01-2006 05:53 AM

Fact- the AMA made this rule because of FIM standards. Those standards DO NOT take into account all the differing situations (dust in air or human contact and such) that race fuels go through during race weeks. Are those standards too high? According to VP fuels and many factory teams- yes. Does the AMA need to address this- yes. Will they make the Carmichael situation stand. They should because you can't change the past (remember Yamaha and Kawasaki got nabbed, too). In short, I am a Ricky fan but the rule should stand this season and be changed by next or at-least by outdoor season.

killer5280 03-01-2006 06:04 AM

The questions I would ask are:

Was there intent to violate the rules?

Was a performance advantage gained because of the violation?

I think the answer to both questions is a resounding "NO!"

I am sick of racing organizations messing up racing because of capricious enforcement of rules that are stupid in the first place.

It seems that NASCAR (which is arguably the worst racing in the world) is the role model for every other racing organization in the world. I don't see that as a good thing.

bboule 03-01-2006 06:09 AM

This reminds me a lot the doping issues in many sports. It's really hard for us readers to know what is actually going on since so little information is released.

There are going to be cases that are beyond doubt, like if the limit is 0.005 and they find a bike with fuel with a level of 0.05. But then there could be a bike with a level of 0.006 that is a result of poor quality control from the fuel company. Maybe this is what happened here and is prompting the AMA investigation.

If they'd actually caught Carmichaels crew doctoring the fuel then it'd be different, just like failing a blood test is different then being caught with a car load of steroids.

In the end just like anything else the team is responsible for it's fuel, maybe they should be testing the fuel, at least when it's the high $$ factory supported teams on works bikes.

longride 03-01-2006 06:11 AM

If NASCAR is the worst racing in the world, then how did they become the 'role model' for every other racing org. in the world??

pplassm 03-01-2006 06:22 AM

Here's VP Fuels' response