Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 02-12-2006, 04:21 AM   #41
bmwdude
Founding Member

Default Re: Sucks...

I think Buells defense is, all of the parts to build this bike are available to everyone.

MOstaff, how about doing a story about taking a stock Firebolt and adding all of these parts to it?

My only gripe is how damn expensive it will be.

By the time your done, you could have bought an Agusta. Or a copy of each of the big 4's offerings.
bmwdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2006, 04:25 AM   #42
bmwdude
Founding Member

Default Re: No limits

Hey! A class that Dodge's Tomahawk could race in!

Imagine, a viper powered race bike?

OK, Back to earth with the rest of youÂ…Â…

bmwdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 07:07 AM   #43
mcarroll
Founding Member

Default Re: AMA Gives Thumbs-Up to the XBRR

The RC51 is a liquid cooled v-twin, just like the Ducati's, which allows them to spin at higher RPM's and create more horsepower. There is a big difference in power between an air cooled v-twin and a liquid cooled v-twin because of the RPM's that the respective engines can spin at. And how can you compare the XBRR to a MotoGP bike. Those MotoGP bikes weigh less than 350 lbs. and have well over 200HP. The XBRR doesn't come close to those numbers. It really sounds to me like everyone is a little pissed because Buell used the rules that existed to build a bike that if competitive with the I-4's. More competition creates better racing. Enbrace it and enjoy it.
mcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 08:03 AM   #44
tpoppa
Founding Member

Default Re: Sucks...

You no read good.
tpoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 10:08 AM   #45
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

LOL
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 10:09 AM   #46
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Re: No limits

LOL exactly. Anything goes...
Old 02-12-2006, 10:10 AM   #47
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Excellent idea

You know you are right. A class with no limits.. Good idea
Old 02-12-2006, 12:50 PM   #48
RRocket
Founding Member

Any victory, in my opinion, will be tainted. C'mon...this bike is as far away as can be from the Buell you or I can buy!! Imagine what the Japanese could turn out with the same liberal, grey area skirting of the rules that this bike is doing? We all know the AMA and other teams would be howling if ANY one of the Japanese teams made a "ringer" bike with the excuse that you could buy the parts from a catalog. I remember some of the parts in the HRC catalog that you could technically buy for an RC30, RC45 and some for the RC51 that would bring it up to World Superbike spec. I'll cal this bike what it is..the bending of the rules for an American brand..a cheater bike, a ringer, whatever. The first word of AMA is American, so we can see how easily they could be corrupted by Harley. It's really a shame....
RRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 02:15 PM   #49
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Buell vs. Buz's Ducati

Did you check out this latest review of the Buell vs Ducati "On practically any twisty road and we tried a lot the Ducati will steadily leave the Buell behind. The SS1000, while certainly no R6, provides solid, predictable handling and a broad spread of power that makes it fun to ride quickly. The SS1000Â’s surefootedness comes courtesy of its strong chassis, which is easily able to handle"

more at Ducati Air cooled twin kicks Buell's butt in camparo

Now we know why Buz kept the Duc and sold the MV.... Of course Buz's machine was the 900 I think
Old 02-12-2006, 03:13 PM   #50
pdad13
Founding Member

Well. the real issue here is that Buell gave this bike a new name and designation and then decided to sell it as a separate model. I'll agree that that seems to go against the letter of the rule, but in reality, does this bike violate the spirit of the rule?

It uses the stock XB chassis with only very minor modifications (chain drive, slightly more fuel capacity, etc.) and the XB engine block, which is basically all the FX rules require.

Do you think the Yamahas will be significantly less modified than the Buell? In FX? My guess is that an FX R6 will have the maximum amount of mods allowed and cost way more than the Buell.

This is really just a semantic argument. From what I read, it seems that Buell let the AMA know what it was doing from the beginning. But what Buell should have done was called the bike an XB9R or 12R in FX trim. (They might have even been able to get away with selling them as factory race-kitted models.) Then we probably wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Ah, well, since H-D is involved, we would be having some kind of discussion, but maybe not this exact one.

pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote