Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 01-24-2001, 11:10 AM   #1
motorcyclerider
Founding Member

Default Re: Laguna Seca Test Notes

Humm, if Harley-Davidson, dropped it down to a "VR750", then maybe the AMA would let the Ducati 748 race in the the 600SS series like they do in WSC!!

Maybe if H-D used the VR1000 motor in it's (Buell)sportbikes, more H-D riders would find out that having a bike that's fast and handle's well could be a "plus". LOL. then maybe not!
motorcyclerider is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-24-2001, 11:37 AM   #2
hamatsu
Founding Member

Performance and Harley Davidson shouldn't be used in the same sentence. It's sad to think that a company that's making the kind of money that Harley's making can't produce a "decent" sportbike. Then again, I think most of what Harley is worried about is image and protecting that image. Too bad the yuppies discovered them before AMF got the chance to really put the last nail in their coffin. Maybe they could buy some Brittens and copy that to produce a real sportbike that goes fast, handles and stops. I doubt we'll ever see it though.
hamatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2001, 12:24 PM   #3
RobM
Founding Member

Now i wouldn't mind seeing the photos from THAT shoot. How badly injured was Kurtis? I hope the worst was to his pride...
RobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2001, 12:38 PM   #4
stevegrab
Founding Member

Really, after reading the latest news at AMA Soup after 5PM today, I finally see that MO has some news posted about the Laguna testing.

But then AMA Soups always been more timely than MO, I guess they're not busy out doing wheelies in the street
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2001, 01:00 PM   #5
a929rrrider
Founding Member

Harleys will run good laptimes when there made in Japan. Once a turd always a turd.
a929rrrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2001, 01:13 PM   #6
LW
Founding Member

That's it? This is the new Harley that wasn't ready in time for the Daytona tire test? As I understand it got a new lighter crank. Thats it? Big Deal. I guess I should stop fooling myself into believing that Harley is actually going to get serious about racing.

Of course this also makes Ford look like fools, why a company that is as sucessful at racing as Ford would continue to be associated to with Harley is beond me. Oh yea, they want to sell an overpriced 2wd pickup that says Harley on it, I guess this way they get to rape the public with jacked up prices just like Harley.
LW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2001, 01:34 PM   #7
minime
Founding Member

Actually, this is what happens when we're out doing a 600 Shootout to provide content for our readers instead of just the half-truths and rumors, labeled as news, that make up the bulk of other web sites' content.

True, this post is slumming it a bit as it's info we got from various people who were in attendance at the Laguna test sessions. Still, it's nothing gleaned from another web site.

Those of you who frequent other sites as well as MO should know that it's not uncommon for a few web sites to post similar information about the same event or product.

-- Minime
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2001, 05:13 PM   #8
x1lightening
Founding Member

I agree with you on the Buell thoery for Harley racing. They own 98% of the company now. Why don't they use this technology for thier racing teams? Get these idiots they have designing thier crap out of the way and let Eric Buell create something that will be more competitive for them. Then we might have a truley competitive Harley race team. Though I think Picotte is one hell of a rider, just like to see him on something up to par with the others.
x1lightening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2001, 04:23 AM   #9
x1lightening
Founding Member

Give a little credit where it is due. I think that they are starting to make an attempt to be somewhat competitive in the sportbike market with thier acquisition of the Buell line of bikes. This at least gives them a frame and suspension to work off of. They are also looking into liquid cooled motors. I fully expect these to show up on the Buell line of bike before they do on Harley's standard line of bikes. While they are not up to par with the big three in the sportbike market, they are making strides in the right direction. The Buell allready handles wonderfully and does stop well. topend is not that of the big 3, but you have to start somewhere.
x1lightening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2001, 06:27 AM   #10
JoeB
Founding Member

There's only so much happening at this time of year in the world of motorcycles, so obviously everyone would be reporting similar news.
JoeB is offline   Reply With Quote