Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   AMA Racing (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/ama-racing/)
-   -   Rich Local Racer? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/ama-racing/2778-rich-local-racer.html)

mile_eater 05-06-2005 02:16 AM

Re: Local Racer making a small fortune.

The difference is... 200,000 people didn't watch that privateer finish 14th. No one buys that privateer's stuff.

And... it doesn't cost that privateer $500,000 to build his bike.

But hey... NASCAR's just for rednecks... keep ignoring it.

Buzglyd 05-06-2005 03:07 AM

I don't have anything against NECKCAR, I just think Kyle should use some of that dough to cut off that god-awful ponytail skullet.

Stonedog 05-06-2005 03:30 AM

Will do.

pplassm 05-06-2005 03:45 AM

Nice to see a privateer getting at least SOME ink in a newspaper. They don't even publish race results around here.

Buzglyd 05-06-2005 04:36 AM

I'm friends with the editor of the San Diego Union sports page. I frequently applaud him for his racing coverage. They usually have one feature article a week plus racing results.

Fenton 05-06-2005 06:00 AM

Okeydokey

ewok1 05-06-2005 06:06 AM

paying to have fun

I can't speak for the AMA guys, but as a privateer myself i guess, it's worth every penny. While i have to write all the checks and produce and justify a budget for she who must be obeyed to approve that would shame the pentagon i prefer to ride around on my own. no sponsors to please, no contingency money screwing with my long term disability plan, only rfights with the no babies to kiss. it is ridiculously expensive and i won't do it for very much longer, but there is no feeling like it.

It seems unlikely that motorcycle racing will ever have the money. Maybe too few people understand the skill. i admit i don't get nascar, but judging from the brightly colored clothing and beer commercials, it appears it may not be about the racing. i'm sure i am missing something.

I do feel for the privateers racing nationally. to the person they are damn good riders. they compete on bikes that are much less competitive and then get humiliated on national tv for being a backmarker. still its all i can do to keep from getting lapped by any oone of them in a sprint race.

It's a grand tradition, a man or woman with a van and a plan.

Maybe we should start an adopt a racer program at motorcycle.com everybody give a few bucks and have somebody do a race report.

tumbler 05-06-2005 06:13 AM

Re: paying to have fun

That would be pretty cool and generate some great stories!

mscuddy 05-06-2005 06:22 AM

Re: paying to have fun

It's the sport of kings. One could squander many fortunes racing anything with a motor.

My Dad went broke racing Can-Am in the 70's, then went broke again racing Formula 5000, broke once more racing 914 6's...etc.etc.

Hell, I'm broke most of the time, and that's just the vintage class! I can't imagine your budget.

More power to you.

Steven_Verschoor 05-06-2005 07:07 AM

That was a good article... freaking NeckCAR!