Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 03-14-2005, 08:06 AM   #41
Jaysunc13
Founding Member

Default Re: Daytona 200 Results

That was the most boring 200 I have seen in my lifetime. I kept saying to myself, "This is the Daytona 200"? That said, I was happy to see that Hodgson placed second for the Ducati. Not sure what happened to E. Bostrom, But there should be some interesting SBK races to come.
Jaysunc13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-14-2005, 08:19 AM   #42
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

I didn't get to see the 200 or Superbike races. It sounds like I didn't miss anything. I watched the Supersport and SuperStock on Thursday I think. Those races were great to watch but those races seemed less competitive then last year. Too bad Honda won't race in Supersport...Seems like the AMA has dysfunctional class system to me. .. Maybe they should do it like World Superbike
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 08:23 AM   #43
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Excellent Point, they do seem to be ducking the SuperSport competition. Probably for marketing reasons...
Old 03-14-2005, 08:51 AM   #44
pplassm
Founding Member

I'm just another fan that think that this year's 200 was the most boring "race" I've seen in a long time. Almost as bad as a formula 1 Shumacher parade lap.

I really miss the Superbikes spinning up the rear as they exit the corners. I didn't see any of that off the FX bikes.

Here's hoping they change things for next year. How about a rule mandating all SB competitors enter, on Bandit 600s!!!

Old 03-14-2005, 11:23 AM   #45
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

I agree Fifth Gear is great. Love the girl and the accent... Fun show.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:36 AM   #46
seruzawa
The Toad

Honda is the 800 pound gorilla of racing. What Honda wants Honda gets. Honda wanted a venue where they would be assured of a win and the AMA gave it to them. The AMA would invent special series for the others if they were willing to pay. Then each manufacturer could advertise their "winning" sportbike models for the squidlies to eat up.

This is nothing new or unique. When HD was the 800 pound gorilla of dirt track racing back in the 60s they got the rules cooked in their favor as well.

The True Golden Rule: He who has the gold makes the rules.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:21 PM   #47
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Or kerosene powered Puch Twingles.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:06 PM   #48
pdad13
Founding Member

That's exactly what I'm saying. Writers, hosts, production values, editors, locations, time etc., all come at a price. Just the way that show is constructed is more costly to do--it has a cool aesthetic that is certainly more expensive and time-consuming to produce. I also wonder if it's just not as profitable to do a show like that over here. Seems like the Europeans care more about that stuff than the average American. Also notice that Fifth Gear is being syndicated in this country and probably elsewhere. That's more money for the kitty.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 02:12 PM   #49
pdad13
Founding Member

TWT is okay. Like you say, Greg is likable enough. The content is a bit limited, though. They should cut down the number of segments and get a little deeper with fewer topics. You're right, the Ace Cafe thing was interesting, but it was too short. The Trials riding stuff was cool, too. And they spent some real time on it.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:17 PM   #50
pdad13
Founding Member

Actually, there wasn't even a Triumph. Ben Walters was really on a GSX-R. I got screwed up by that, too. The ticker at the top of the screen was wrong.