Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 03-13-2005, 08:45 AM   #11
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Daytona 200 Results

An engine configuration didn't win this race- money did.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-13-2005, 09:03 AM   #12
pdad13
Founding Member

Well, I've got to agree with you there. I was thinking that the field was comprised of a few stars, some young guys, and a bunch of privateers. But since Honda is the only real factory team, and this is supposedly the marquee race, what did you expect?
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 09:05 AM   #13
GSXRWolf
Founding Member

Are you responding to my post? I never said anything about engine configuration winning or losing the race. However, I agree with your point. Honda likely spent the most money on their machines, their crews and their riders.

But if a privateer wanted to finish as high as possible in the standings, wouldn't he want to be sitting in the saddle of one of those Ducati 749 machines with the inherently superior power delivery?
GSXRWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 09:16 AM   #14
pdad13
Founding Member

How about Michelle Smith from American Thunder while you're at it? They could race Vengeance customs in the 200. That would make a really interesting race. And all she would have to do is read a bad script, badly, like she does anyway.

Miguel on a Vengeance Vindicator.

Zemke on a Vengeance Abominator.

Kurtis on a Vengeance Dominatrix.

(I could go on, but I'll spare you all.)

What a stupid show--a thinly-veiled infomercial for Vengeance crapola. At least Corbin's Ride On comes right out and says what it is. And they make some useful products.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 10:06 AM   #15
sarnali
Founding Member

You mean they're serious? I thought that show was a comedy.

Corbin Ride on is watchable, and I've bought a few seats off them. I have a leather one on my Trophy as we speak, with color matched light blue piping no less... looks and works pretty well for like $250 total. Not a bad deal.

TWT is alright, at least ol' Greg is sincere, you can tell he's trying to do a good job. The best M/C related show I've seen is the two Brit. guys on "A bike is born" they do cars as well, but one series in particular they did was a frame up restoration on a '69 Bonnie that turned out great. They did a 4-5 Harley in o.d. green that looked pretty cool, and an XKE Jag.

It's a pretty cool show, no pretense, just the kinda' guys you find hanging out in some little shop working on bikes. Not the Hollywood retards on the chopper shows.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 10:14 AM   #16
mergenex
Founding Member

The racing at the 200 sucked. I swear the AMA is trying to destroy itself with these dramatic horribly thought out changes. What kind of Daytona 200 is it when you have ONE factory racing bikes. It was a Honda 200. They need to cut out formula Xtreme and super stock. All the AMA needs is Superbike and superstock. Privateers stand a hell of a better chance in superstock then in carbon fiber encrusted, Ohlins shocked, big bucks formula xtreme. Make superbike a little less outrageous cost wise. Make a 5 year plan, and then stick with it. What Daytona 200 would you rather have seen, 3 Hondas fighting for the first pit stop? Or 15 factory supported superbikes racing around MIxing it up. If we get rid of superstock then the big 5 will have to join superbike if they want to show their big bikes racing. I am so disappointed in the AMA.
mergenex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 10:25 AM   #17
GSXRWolf
Founding Member

You have some good points there but you need to proofread your post a little more carefully. I think you got your supersport and superstock mixed up a little bit.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:09 AM   #18
Buzglyd
Founding Member

That V-Twin power delivery you deride so much finished ahead of 33 I-4s in the Superbike race.

Just because you ride a GSXR doesn't mean you get to claim any credit for its success. For a 50 year old you're about as mature as the late KPaul.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 12:53 PM   #19
schizuki
Founding Member

"American Thunder"? They should call it "American Used-Up Chicken-Skin Slag."

I can't stand the host of Ride On, but they do have some pretty useful technical features. And the non-Harley get-togethers are pretty interesting to hear about (nothing against Harleys, it just seems like all of their attendees are slobs who come out for "the biiiikes, the womennnn....", punctuated by a "Wooooooo!")

TWT is decent, Greg is likable, although the interviews with industry guys can be dull.

Agreed on "A Bike is Born." The Brits just seem to do much better than us with this stuff (See "Car & Driver" or "Motor Trend" vs "Fifth Gear.") Same with magazines.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 01:12 PM   #20
GSXRWolf
Founding Member

Yes, and in the Superbike races, one I-4 finished ahead of 2 V-twins! Fascinating statistics indeed. But this post is about the Daytona 200, which is the Formula Extreme class this year.