Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 10-11-2004, 09:33 AM   #1
maxriderdon
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell XB-9R 4th in AMA FX

1st Post! What, no link to story?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-11-2004, 09:34 AM   #2
christian_gates
Founding Member

Good lord. johnnyb, that is not a healthy comment, nor is that a healthy result for motorcycling. The problem with the Buell is that it's engine is, by any reasonable standard, terrible. While I appreciate the Buell chassis and certain of their engineering innovations which are good for motorcycling, their ridiculous adherence to an inferior engine technology is exactly why their race results are so uninteresting.

As motorcycle consumers, we shouldn't buy in to Buell's fraud. And that's exactly what they will remain right up until they build a bike with an engine that isn't based on that old Harley POS. Buell has a great chassis, and they really think about handling - but for whatever reason, they seem almost religiously defiant to the point of idiocy about engines.

With a 1.3 (1.4?) litre motor, they should be in AMA SBK, not FX. Coddling Buell with favorable rules is not the way to get them to build a product that we want. Hammering them unmercifully until they realize that some of us want a bike that doesn't have the worst engine in motorcycling is the way to go.

cdg
christian_gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 09:45 AM   #4
squidly51
Founding Member

Wait! Aren't most Ducati's running ancient twins designed before people could make decent valve return springs? I say good on ya Mr Buell...

squidly51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 09:59 AM   #5
Nplateau
Founding Member

Ducati engines are significantly more advanced than Buell engines. Not to mention that Ducati liter bikes run against in-line 4 liter bikes, whereas Buell's must use a significant displacement advantage to run with the 4 banger 600s.

The Buell concept works well for the street, I believe, but I think what Christian is referring to is that Buell motorcycles could indeed use an upgrade in the engine department. A more modern V-twin is a good idea. Don't you think it would be grand if Harley started putting in V-rod engines into Buell frames?
Nplateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 10:03 AM   #6
ducatirdr
Founding Member

Hey Johnnyb,

I get it. They are FUN street bikes that have character. Having ridden one I fell in love with that instant torque along with exhaust note and v-twin vibe pulsing through it. Never owned an inline 4 in my 25 years of riding. I never will.

Next time you talk to Mr Buell let him know I would love to club race a Buell if he offered a club racing purchase discount/contingency like Ducati or Suzuki does. Come on the AMA series is for the rich guys what about us poor club racers?

ducatirdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 10:19 AM   #7
wrecks
Founding Member

Still doesn't make me want one. I'd be more excited if Buell put out a HO 750 twin to compete in a class such as this. Think 749 with about 6 inches less wheelbase and 50 fewer pounds.
wrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 10:25 AM   #8
Labrat
Founding Member

I haven't seen any races this year, but could it be that Ciccotto is just an awesome rider? Remember EBos used to place high on the ZX-7, and won some races, long after it was considered outdated, underpowered and overweight. What would this guy be doing if he were on a factory 600 instead of the Buell?
Labrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 11:06 AM   #9
ewok1
Founding Member

Default i don't know if i'd love it

but they can run in our mw gp twins and i know i got smoked by one yesterday. i'd race one too if the price was right.
ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 11:14 AM   #10
johnnyb
Founding Member

Yes, the engine is such a horrid piece of crap Cicotto could only beat 24 modern I4s with it.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote