Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 10-11-2004, 12:10 PM   #31
Labrat
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell XB-9R 4th in AMA FX

good point
Labrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-11-2004, 12:18 PM   #32
red916
Founding Member

Roger that. But if I threw $4,000 at my RC51, I wonder what it would do? They sure wouldn't let me race it in FX. It would sure make more than 120hp. And it would still be 200cc smaller than the XB. I know, I know, apples and oranges, but hey, if Harley built anything even close to the RC or 999 or 749 or *****, for that matter an SV650, I would be the first guy in line with a deposit.
red916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 12:22 PM   #33
christian_gates
Founding Member

Well, it didn't measure up for a reason and I'm unhappy that there isn't another choice for higher performance bikes.

I can't use 150HP on the street, and didn't attempt to imply that I could; in fact, I don't think anyone (sane at least) can outride any sportbike on the street as a matter of course - there are just too many uncontrolled variables. More power, better handling etc. just give you more margin for error and more margin for the unexpected.

But the thread is really more about Buell - what's right and wrong with them. And what's wrong with the Buell is the motor - I was just relating that as a consumer, if it had a more acceptable power plant, I would have likely purchased one.

cdg
christian_gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 01:17 PM   #34
johnnyb
Founding Member

Well, it just finished right behind Doug Chandler's super-tricky factory-supported 749, so find a pen.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 01:19 PM   #35
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Hey, if a motorcycle magazine says Buells are no good, then they're no good.

Motojournalists never let their personal bias into stories. Never!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 02:01 PM   #36
Dixit
Registered Member

The V-rod engine is more modern but it is also a very heavy engine and I don't think that it will ever finds its way in a sport bike.
Dixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 02:31 PM   #38
F451
Founding Member

Default Johnny B. Right

I am totally enamored with Buell series of motorcycles. They have character; they have spunk (don't go there!). And I'm hell bent for Brando leather to get one....soooo I set out to do just that the other week at the dealer I knew that sold them. Arrived with the Mrs. to take that pup out, all the while, schmoozing my Mrs. with utter absurdities (bullsh!t) of why it was a justified purchase and how this was a different motorcycle than my others for different riding conditions (Did she buy it--no...). Well lo and behold, if my frick'n dealer no longer carried them! Not one resided on the showroom floor...none. I was livid as I listened to some bullsh!t about how H-D required this and that and they could no longer sell them as they needed room for more cruisers! Just what the world needs--another cruiser! Totally deflated I mumbled under my breath that, "There will be hell-to-pay when Johnny B. finds out!" and left. Erik Buell, given what H-D allows him to work with has made what NO other motorcycle designer can make. He's brilliant and the Buell is brilliant. I've got to have one. Now, if I can just come up with a new line of bullsh!t for the Mrs. so we can head out again to a dealership that does sell them...
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 02:45 PM   #39
pdad13
Founding Member

The XB12R I rode was really great fun. I don't know where most of these guys ride, but I know I'd never be able to ride anywhere near its limits except on a track. The Buell has plenty of down low grunt where you need it on the street and a decent top end. But it was really fun to move around on.

Now, if I could only find a dealer that will let me ride another one without pledging my first born. I haven't found one local Harley dealers (on Long Island) that was accomodating. One salesperson (who claimed to be an expert on Buells, but didn't know squat) did offer to let me ride a used XB9R--if I subjected myself to an inquisition and price quote. Gee, thanks man, but no thanks.

The Triumph dealer was more than happy to let me ride a Daytona 955i. I'm more likely to spend the money there. Harley/Buell dealers need to get their acts together. The ones around here are not serious about selling Buells. I hope Erik knows that he's getting it in the rear from some of them. Please let him know because I really like the bikes.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 02:59 PM   #40
red916
Founding Member

Damn.
red916 is offline   Reply With Quote