Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 10-11-2004, 11:16 AM   #11
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell XB-9R 4th in AMA FX

Impossible to say since MC has never had the chance. Wonder how Buell would do with Honda budget and jake zemke?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-11-2004, 11:17 AM   #12
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Well there is no doubt that Mr. Ciccotto is a great rider to get that bike to 4th. That, and a lot of help from the rules and H-D (unofficially of course).

I do think that if they get a V-rod motor in it, with the proper mods, they might even get the missing top speed, thats been hampering them on the bigger tracks (without sacrificing the cornering or low end acceleration).

Plus it would make a better street bike, IMHO.

nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 11:18 AM   #13
eekadog
Founding Member

woohoo fourth place? granted it's not bad for two less cylinders and no radiator...but 4th place is still not first place.
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 11:21 AM   #14
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default XB Buell with a Ducati 999 Engine

Interesting comments about the Buell engine. I ride a Buell XB12S with race kit daily and found the contrast between it and the new DucatiÂ’s very interesting. I test rode a 2004 Ducati ST3 and 999 yesterday at Firebird raceway here in Phoenix AZ and I couldnÂ’t help but wonder what it would have been like riding my Buell powered with the Ducati 999 engine on the same track. HumÂ….
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 11:30 AM   #15
Nplateau
Founding Member

JB, I doubt that the Beull engine in AMA FX is very much like that which we would find in a stock, street going bike. I would also venture to guess that there are other factors as well (rider, track setup. etc...) which contributes to this scenario. I don't mean to take anything away from Cicotto's achievement, nor do I mean to denigrate the Buell motorcycle especially since I feel fondness for them, but think about it JB, wouldn't you like to see a MO' better engine in the bike?
Nplateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 11:35 AM   #16
adaleb
Registered Member

Nice to see these results. Remember, there is a world out there beyond the UJM.

I have owned a Buell now for about four years, and it is a wonderful motorcycle. Not the fastest, but nowhere near the slowest either. Comfortable and solid.

One other note - I like all bikes, but the reason I subscribe to MO is the fact that they give every manufacturer a chance. Try reading Motorcyclist if you ride something made in America - all they do is bash Buell and H-D. Cycle World and MO are the only real "fair and balanced" road testers out there.

No bike is perfect, but any bike is better than none.

Guess everyone will still complain if Ciccotto finally gets on to the podium......
adaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 12:01 PM   #17
seruzawa
The Toad

I din't think you'll find too many stock components on the I-4 bikes either.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:09 PM   #18
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Default Re: XB Buell with a Ducati 999 Engine

Thanks for the owner feedback. I like the Buells, I just feel that the motor is a drawback, considering the slow reving nature of the beast (relative to the newer designed water cooled vtwins). I think it would be an interesting test to plop a 999 (or RC51, or TL1000) motor into a Buell chasis and see what they say about that combination.

I would also like to see Mr. Buell apply some of that foward think design to a new ST rig. Could come up with some interesting solutions to the Sport or Touring gap that seems to exits in the current crop of bikes out there.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 12:13 PM   #19
johnnyb
Founding Member

Nope, I love big rumbly twins, esp. ones that need nothing but their oil changed now and then.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:16 PM   #20
johnnyb
Founding Member

Maybe he can win the "Daytona 200" next season. Then i would laugh. I agree 4th is not the same as winning, but for all those who characterize the Buells as way off the pace, well obviously it just ain't the case.