Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 10-14-2004, 07:25 AM   #181
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: Another dreamer

Yup, you probably will. It may take a few years, but it's gotta happen eventually. Granted, I don't think H-D values will ever drop as low as the Japanese mass producers.

With the increased production of new H-Ds, and more coming on line, you will see a significant correction in the price of used bikes. It's going to happen as soon as owners realize they can't ask virtually the same price for their used bike as a new one would cost. I mean, that's just totally screwy. It made some sense when you couldn't buy a new one. But that's not the case anymore.

Hope you get that cheap project bike sooner rather than later.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-14-2004, 07:40 AM   #182
F451
Founding Member

Default Re: Johnny B. Right

I'm beginning to think it's a KPaul conspiracy!

Beyond KPaul there is the reality that Buell is becoming a world player, liked by many a European press and many others. What's not to like about a Buell? Nothing! I love this frick'n bike! I want to see a "Buell only" dealership or an exotic dealership that carries Buell. I have no problem going to a showroom and seeing a Buell aside a MV Agusta--both are beautiful machines.
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 07:53 AM   #183
tomk2
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell XB-9R 4th in AMA FX

How about this... give everyone exactly 2 gallons of gas to finish an average race and maybe 5 gallons for Daytona

Any size engine, any configuration, any weight, turbos, whatever

Then we can really find out who's really engineering an efficient engine & maybe we'd see some race engine R&D that would have practical applications.

P.S. I saw some figures for FX engine costs on another BB... the cost on the Ducati engine was $40K, the factory Honda engines estimated at $60K each...

but you could build the whole 120 hp Buell race bike for maybe $25K and unlike the Ducs or Hondas it uses a lot of stock parts... frame, swingarm, forks, front wheel
tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 07:55 AM   #184
mile_eater
Founding Member

Default Re: This Hurts...

To put it in perspective... people finish the dragon, get off their bikes, and puke. I've seen it.

You dont WANT it any longer. You ride it. Rest. Ride it again.

Old 10-14-2004, 10:56 AM   #185
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

Default Actually...

If you look more closely, you'll see my post was a reply to VR1000Racer.

Anyway, my original "welcome aboard" was directed at VR1000Racer, but I welcome you, too. Welcome aboard, Mate.
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 07:36 AM   #187
DaveFla
Founding Member

Default Re: 4th place means not even on the podium

I'd have to have cared in the first place.

DaveFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 07:46 AM   #188
DaveFla
Founding Member

Default Re: Disposable?

I'll skip the SuperDuke- I'm holding out for that Royal Enfield V-Twin literbike that the Indonesian importer is thinking of building with help from Drysdale...

DaveFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 07:00 PM   #189
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell XB-9R 4th in AMA FX

Wait a minute, I gotta check the AMA web-site before I make a comment on this. I'm thinking it might be a hoax.................I'll be damned! Gimme another minute. IÂ’m gonna check with the American Seismic Institute; had to be an earthquake or somethingÂ…Â…Â…Â….Struck-out there, too.

YeahÂ…WellÂ…Then, it was either, Sun Spots or the WorldÂ’s about to end (Knew I should have gone to church). No! ThatÂ’s not it. TickÂ…tickÂ…tickÂ…tickÂ…IÂ’m thinking! IÂ’m thinkingÂ…Shish!

Wait! IÂ’ve got it! IÂ’ll blame it on Chaos Theory. ThatÂ’s it! ItÂ’s all those tiny, little, sub-atomic particles, winking in, and out of existence, all the time. Sneaky, little buggers! No telling what kindÂ’a trouble theyÂ’re likely to cause: traveling faster than the speed of light, coming and going, whenever they damn-well please. There ought'a be a law!

Hell! I donÂ’t care how it happened. That 1200cc Harley engine is still a lump; and, yes, as a matter of fact, it would be better-off powering a farm tractor.

"Harley-Davidson: One-Hundred-Years of Tradition, Unhampered by Progress." Now, that would be "Truth, in advertising." Erik Buell, on the other hand, might be a genius.

God, I love that frame. Bet the boys in Japan took one look at BuellÂ’s creation, and started getting nervous.

"Hey, Yoshi! Better come take a look at this. I think we got trouble"Â….

"Nah! YouÂ’re crazy! Look what they got for an engine"Â…

"Whew! Had me worried for a second."

While CiccottoÂ’s making it to 15th place, in the championship, with 114 points, and almost standing on the podium, might be amazing; doesnÂ’t it make you wonder what he might have done, if his bike hadn't been powered by an antique? Last I heard, Harley recorded record-earnings, this year; and, theyÂ’re projecting record-earnings for next year, too. So, anyone want to tell me why one of the most advanced sport-bike frames, ever built, happens to have an engine, designed in the middle of the Twentieth-Century, pushing it down the road? I mean, it ainÂ’t like HarleyÂ’s short of cash. No, the problem isnÂ’t cash, or lack of technology, or that the Japanese are smarter that us. The real problem is the Harley-Faithful. You know who I mean

"All those guys…Who buy all that bling …And chrome every damn thing…That makes the registers ring…They don’t mind being played…’Cause it gets ‘em laid…’Cause when you ride that thing…Don’t gotta buy no ring…For her to shake that thing…That’s what the Harleys bring." OOPS! Sorry, guess I got carried away.

Somewhere along the line, Harleys stopped being motorcycles and, somehow, became Badges of Identity. Now, every Doctor, Lawyer, StockBroker and CPA, who spent all their Collage Years studying (when they should have been getting drunk, like the rest of us), has to own a Harley. God only knows what their gonna do if they come around a corner and meet-up with a bunch of HellÂ’s Angels.

"Hey! Any of you guys need help with estate planning?"Â…"@#$% OUCH! @#$%"

Okay, that was mean. But ya gotta admit; it would be funny.

So, as long as Harley keeps making lots, and lots, and lots of money, selling bikes to people, who should know better, but donÂ’t, Erik BuellÂ’s genius will be wasted.

And, tomorrow I'm going to tell you the story of "The Big Red Riders" and how they got clobbered, by a skinny, little Italian boy.

Night, now!

Old 10-21-2004, 06:59 AM   #190
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Re: one word: ducati

Whenever I look at Eric Brull's frame, every fiber of my being cries out for the KTM, RC8 engine.

That Harley, with all it's money, can continue to stick that engine in that bike, is insane.

I mean; really, what kind of idiot would take an engine out of a 1948 Hudson-Hornet, modify the crap out of it, stick it in a F1 car, then expect it to compete? Don't bother answering; it was a rhetorical question. We all know the answer: Harley!