Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 10-13-2004, 10:35 AM   #151
Grover
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell XB-9R 4th in AMA FX

All this talk about air cooling and liquid cooling is actually missing the point.

The biggest difference lies in the fact that the buell is a 2-valve whereas the rice rockets are 4 and 5 valves. Also, the buell is a pushrod moter, whereas all the rice rockets are overhead cams.

Air cooling actually has better heat rejection characteristics than water cooling. Why do you suppose all the baja rally bikes are air cooled? It's because heat is rejected directly from the engine to the air, instead of having to be rejected from the engine, to the coolant, and then to the air. The real advantage with liquid cooling is in the ability to more closely control the cooling that does occur by regulating the flow of coolant. This in turn results in reduced operating temperature gradients in the engine, which in turn allows for closer engine tolerances, which improves durability and allows the engine to run safely at higher rpms.

So your assertion that a 1-litre liquid cooled engine can produce more power than a 1-litre air-cooled engine, all else being equal, is flat false. It all depends on the application. Again I cite the use (almost exclusively) of air cooled engines in endurance desert racing. That said, it is well established that in just about every other racing arena, air cooling is the more appropriate solution, and if Buell really wants to get in the ring, they're going to have to go that route. I have a hunch they will. Soon.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-13-2004, 11:04 AM   #152
stoney8888
Founding Member

Default Re: Disposable Kiwi-Steve's comments

I was not trying to imply that I don't like buells, I even owned a sportster for a long time. I want a buell, If they were just a tad less money( poor me i'm poor) I was talking more about vr1000s comments about efficiency.
stoney8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 11:07 AM   #153
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: This Hurts...

It has tons of low end for a sportbike. It's pretty anemic when you compare it to a big V-Twin, as it has about 1/2 the torque, and about the same horsepower.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:14 AM   #154
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

Default Re: 2-wheel Tuesday tonight?

Hey, I'm not too far from Glendale. Maybe I'll look in on the dealer there. Thanks.
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 11:18 AM   #155
tomk2
Founding Member

Default Re: one word: ducati

I think I know why we differ... I have a daily commute with 10 miles of narrow twisting roads going up and down ridge lines* so I look at the Buell and I see suspension, chassis, torque.

It I lived in Straightroadsville it might be different, going fast in a straight line would be more of a concern and I wouldn't mind the extra 50 pounds all the Japanese bikes are carrying and those little forks and cheap shocks... they had to save money somewhere, right?

Unfortunately for me they chose the wrong place to skimp.

Speaking of "engineering the cost out" of a bike the SVs were the best value around until they let the bean counters ruin 'em with that stamped out aluminum U channel frame

*makes me come home for lunch even if there's nothing in the fridge

tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 11:44 AM   #156
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

Default Re: Disposable Kiwi-Steve's comments

Hey, man, how long have you been around MO? We sure could've used your insight in the prior Buell Wars. Even if the guys with chips on their shoulders will never be persuaded, neutral and interested parties, like myself, gain lots to think of from posts like yours. Well, welcome aboard.
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 11:53 AM   #160
Haird
Founding Member

Default Re: one word: ducati

Yeah, but I like a two-wheeled roto-tiller. Seriously, as much as I like a nice, smooth, modern engine, there's something about that old v-twin that works for me.
Haird is offline   Reply With Quote