Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 10-13-2004, 09:08 AM   #141
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: This Hurts...

Nothing in the world like a mountain road with posted 25-40mph turns that gains 6000 feet in 10 miles.

Oh, wait, they don't even have 6000 ft gains back east.

Heh heh.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-13-2004, 09:11 AM   #142
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: An idiot that makes more then both of you together I am sure.

No *****? A sportbike will out-accelerate a cruiser in a drag race from a stop? Please point out where I disputed that fact.

You still haven't given anything besides your own opinion to prove that sportbikes outbrake cruisers.

Old 10-13-2004, 09:24 AM   #143
gforces
Founding Member

Default Where do I sign?

Thanks for your input. I'm sold. I've been looking at other muscle bikes like the ZRX1300r that's coming out soon. I went to the local dealer and heard a 1200R running and the engine note sounded like a sewing machine, which turned me off.

I don't like the idea of bringing my bike in for a $300+ service every 6-12k. Heck, I drive a Toyota, so I don't like paying for anything aside from gas and oil changes (which I do myself as well--costs me $20).

I do like being able to hop it up myself easily/cheaply and gain some real numbers, unlike some other bikes (Ital--ahem) where you can easily spend over 1k for just exhaust and a 2 hp jump.

When it comes to cars, there are two things I value more than outright hp: 1. Handling, 2. torque.

I'm happy Buell is applying those principles to bikes. I'll be getting my XB12R next year and will be having my own fun--my own way.
gforces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 09:27 AM   #144
gforces
Founding Member

Default Re: Johnny B. Right

My local dealer here in San Jose also removed the Buell portion from their now all HD dealer--I poo poo on them!
gforces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 09:50 AM   #145
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default Re: one word: ducati

have you looked at a honda 919? a kawi z1000? an SV1000? in my book they are all superior to the Buell, and you can find them heavily discounted.

i recently picked up a 1995 triumph sprint. if there is a sweeter engine in motorcycling, i have not sampled it. i paid less than $4k, and the bike had less than 9k miles. great deals are EZ to find ... and there is modern engineering to be had. no need to ride a two-wheeled roto-tiller.

my opinion, of course ...
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 09:56 AM   #146
mile_eater
Founding Member

The Dragon itself is only 11 miles, then you take the Skyway.

Say what you want boys. If you haven't been there, you don't know what you're talking about.

The best things about the Dragon is the fact that the road is PERFECT. New asphalt. Huge banking in all the right spots....

I know guys who've ridden come from all over the world to ride it, and non have left disappointed.

I've been to every state in the Union minus that pointless little island. i've never seen anything like the Dragon.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:59 AM   #147
mile_eater
Founding Member

Having recently ridden a VTX 1800, I can honestly say I'd be able to spot MUCH faster on my 1000 Effer.

Cry all you like about linked brakes. I dig 'em.

As for the situation you mention, the 636 has TONS of low end torque and would fire you away in plenty of time. Not to mention that you can flick the bike over to the far section of your lane to buy another split-second.

No way. The sportbike rules. Even in this scenario.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:13 AM   #148
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Burger Barn Bust

That was going to be my next trick but you know our intrepid Burger Barn local ends up in the Bullshyt rather quickly.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 10:24 AM   #149
VR1000racer
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell XB-9R 4th in AMA FX

Hey Valkbandit- Doug Chandler, factory rider/AMA champion, ex-GP racer etc, finished 3rd, right behind 2 more factory race bikes with factory riders, on a factory built and supported Ducati 749R specially built factory issue racebike.

A water cooled 4 valve 750cc Ducati with a displacement benefit of an additional 150cc over the first 2 bikes,I might ad.

3rd would be one spot ahead of 4th.

All against that damned air-cooled pushrod actuated 2 valve tractor motored street bike in the hands of a true privateer.

That damned racing tractor that finished ahead of 24 other bikes at the same time and place.

Hmmm.....
VR1000racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 10:30 AM   #150
sarnali
Founding Member

When's not knowing what we're talking about stopped any of us?

Granted the Dragon sounds like a fun road, and I'm sure it's a challange, I just thought it was longer.

There's 1/2 a dozen roads around here that sound just as good. I don't think you can beat the North Cascades for elevation changes and twisties that go on for ever, more snowcapped mountains and lake views through the trees, and the ocasional elk or log truck to keep you honest.

In Washington you can start out the day with your tires in the ocean, ride through two snowcapped mountain ranges and a couple of 100 miles of sage brush and tumbleweeds and end up camped beside an Alpine lake about 8k feet up.

So, yeah the Dragon sounds cool.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote