Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 10-13-2004, 06:44 AM   #131
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default one word: ducati

ask yourself: what would a ducati twin have done in that class?

answer: demolish it.

i am not impressed that harley has engineered a 1000 cc twin that can run with 600 cc fours. i WILL be impressed when they finally retire that old chuffer and engineer an engine worthy of the new century.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-13-2004, 06:52 AM   #132
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: yeah, right

If it doesn't have 180 hp at the rear wheel and top out at 205 it's a friggen boat anchor
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 07:13 AM   #134
bboule
Founding Member

Default Re: It was on top once against the 600's. I was there.

Well of course he is going to praise the race on a bike his sponsors gave him..

But the question is...

Why did Eric Wood dump the Buell soon after that race?

He definitely has not been racing a Buell in 2003 and 2004.

He destroys the field almost every race weekend at Loudon, he "owns" the track. He will race a motard against GSXR-750s and destroy them.

So the Buell would definitely be fast enough for him to win at Loudon pretty much every weekend.

Yet he chose not to race it...
bboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 07:17 AM   #135
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: This Hurts...

If I had to choose which bike to ride in those conditions I wouldn't want either a sportbike or a cruiser.

Keep the sportbikes on the track and the cruisers on the Interstate.

Use a Speed Triple on the street. Or a Duke. Or a *gasp* Buell. Or an SV1000/650 or any other of the naked streetbike options.

You wouldn't use an F-16 to haul cargo would you? Why do people insist on the fallacy that sportbikes are better on the street? Never underestimate the problems generated by the reduced ability to see in all directions that comes from the racer crouch. Fatigue is also an important factor. And I'll take the wide handlebars any day over those clipons for manuverability.

When push comes to shove it's the rider's alertness and skill that trumps the type of bike anyhow.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:20 AM   #136
seruzawa
The Toad

Default You're wrong.

Sportbikes are safer. Everybody knows that. That's why their insurance rates are so low.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:02 AM   #138
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Capt K-Y is no Sir Issac Newton.

Please point out when I mentioned either of those two bikes, ****weed. The examples I stated above included a Harley.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:05 AM   #139
tomk2
Founding Member

Default Re: one word: ducati

Dooh... did you notice who finished third? Great rider, factory supported team

Myself I look around and keep comng back to the XB9SX... I want a naked street bike & who else offers a better value for maybe $8K out the door?

I don't care what the displacement of the engine is, I'm looking at the weight, power curve, fuel efficiency, low maintenance & reliability.

Comparing the cc's of a 14,000 rpm in-line 4 with the cc's of a low reving two stroke pushrod twin is stupid, it's like comparing displacements against a Wankel or a turbine

tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 08:08 AM   #140
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Sportbikes for dummies (Facts and real data)

What speed is that roll-on from? 10-20mph? 100-150mph? Who knows? My point was that at town speeds, a cruiser will out-accelerate a 600. Since your data doesn't state the starting and ending speeds of the roll-on, it is utterly irrelevant to this discussion. I don't dispute that in a high speed roll-on, the 600 will out accelerate a cruiser.

By the way, if you had actually read the page instead of just posting the link, you'd see that the Harley V-Rod beat every single 600 on that page in the roll-on.