Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 08-16-2004, 01:01 PM   #21
waepoint
Founding Member

Default Open wounds still festering

It seems to me that AMA roadracing is doing its best to continue stumbling towards irrelevance. The racing has been entertaining this year in spite of the obvious problems, but sticking their head in the ground instead of doing anything remotely gutsy spells trouble for AMA racing.

Given the lack of changes thus far, it seems likely we'll get the same factory dilution across muddled classes for another two years. Plus, we get a Daytona 200 that suddenly loses about 90% of it's mystique. Making the Honda FX-class the focus of Daytona is like having the Indigo Girls headline Lollapalooza. The only reason people might show up is to see if Miguel's 5th Daytona win gets a 600-sized "*" after it.

But if we're really good, then the AMA might bless us with an FX-based Superbike class, which would qualify as the world's dumbest misjudging of the American market since "le Car." Hey AMA, Superbikes are about bad-ass riders manhandling snarly beasts that would spit mortal riders off on a leisurely ride down pit lane. It just doesn't get the andro-juiced American blood pumping to have the big-boys powering out of turn 3 to a high-pitched 600 whine. Give the manufacturers consistent / competitive rules and eliminate redundant classes, and we'll get the best riders on the baddest bikes. Please.
waepoint is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-16-2004, 01:08 PM   #22
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Daytona 200 to be Opening Round of Formula Xtreme

Are they TRYING to kill the remaining interest in the 200? Now, instead of the 8 possible winners in the 2004 race, they'll have three, and all of them are riding for the same team. What a waste of time.

By the way, I'm sure Honda's influence with the AMA had no bearing on this decision...
Old 08-16-2004, 01:32 PM   #23
mps165
Founding Member

This year the 200 was an exciting race! Bostrom vs. Mladin vs. the Hondas. Then after Bostrom's bike went kablooey, it was the Hondas vs. Mladin with Mlading taking the win with excellent pit stops. I was there and the race was awesome. If Formula Extreme, aka the Honda show, is the main event, I will stay home this year. What a bunch of crap. I guess Mladin's whining finally paid off and he doesn't have to run 55 laps on the banking. What a travesty.
mps165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 02:29 PM   #24
fuzzyjim
Registered Member

Pretty damn sad when America's biggest road race gets run by its least important motorcycle class.

Hollingsworth and crew should get the boot - they are making AMA road racing a joke.
fuzzyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 02:31 PM   #25
fuzzyjim
Registered Member

Default Re: Open wounds still festering

AMEN!
fuzzyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 03:19 PM   #26
mile_eater
Founding Member

Default Re: HEY!

My wife and kid will be following me in an Izusu Trooper... does that count?
Old 08-16-2004, 05:33 PM   #27
obandoj
Founding Member

Default Re: HEY!

Now, now kpaul, you are going to get the longnazi mad at us again, you know yesterday he called us sophomoric, inmature and child-like, who knows what other horrible things he may say next time, oh boy I'm sooo scared...
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 06:46 PM   #28
flying_hun
Founding Member

I am surprised it even would require a vote.
flying_hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 11:55 PM   #29
Pacer
Founding Member

what ever *****, at the same time..........you're right.
Pacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 12:04 AM   #30
Pacer
Founding Member

I may be wrong (it happens more than I like), but I believe that Honda is the only manufacturer that is on the AMA board of directors. As I said, I may be wrong, but am not far off. Honda has a decent investment in the AMA. At the same time don't be mad, they want us to ride, and will use their muscle if it is threatened. I guess that we just need to get used to them using heavy lobbing power to dominate the racing.
Pacer is offline   Reply With Quote