Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 07-26-2004, 09:34 AM   #11
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle Tires for Dummies

Fvck off.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-26-2004, 09:37 AM   #12
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: AMA Announces Proposed 2005 Superbike Rule Changes

Ditto on that. They should not allow factory participation in what is most decidedly a privateer class. All Honda is doing is reducing the number of entrants in that class due to the 112% (or whatever it is) qualifying rule. Given enough time, there won't be any privateers that will able to go fast enough to stick with the factory guys.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:38 AM   #13
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Eliminating factory participation in Formula Xtreme I think would solve this problem, as it would encourage more privateer participation, and maybe draw some of the slower guys away from Supersport.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:42 AM   #14
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

I think it has more to do with weight than horsepower. MotoGP, with the exception of Nakano, hasn't had this problem, on bikes with way more horsepower than AMA Superbikes or Superstock bikes.

Either way, something needs to be done, and quickly.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:46 AM   #15
nokneedragin
Founding Member

I doubt that the AMA guys are going to add another race to SSport races ($$$). But that was a Fluster Cluck. Their is almost no way to eliminate "Factory" teams from any of the classes. The best idea I have heard of is to have "claiming" races, where stock parts of anyones bike can be purchased by anyone else. That means, black boxes, brakes, suspension, etc. . . could be bought by anyone. No factory is going to put its trick stuff at risk of getting into privateers.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 10:03 AM   #17
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Shove your "___ for dummies" line up your ass, you whiny *****

Most, if not all of the tire failures haven't happened in hot weather. Daytona this year was only about 75-80 degrees during the tire tests when DiSalvo and Spies were pitched off.

Old 07-26-2004, 11:06 AM   #19
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default sounds like a DUNLOP problem to me...

from roadracingworld.com...

7/21/2004

Updated Post: Picotte Predicted Second Dunlop Failure After Rash Of Tire Problems At Mosport

Copyright 2004, Roadracing World Publishing, Inc.

According to series boss Colin Fraser, points leader Pascal Picotte predicted a second catastrophic Dunlop rear tire failure during a riders' meeting held at Mosport, following Jeff Williams' top-gear fall on Saturday of the double-header Canadian Superbike weekend.

True to Picotte's prediction, the rear tire on Steve Crevier's GSX-R1000 exploded during Sunday's Superbike race, throwing him off his bike at an estimated 170 mph.

Riders encountered a rash of issues with Dunlop 17-inch slicks at Mosport, with Williams, Picotte and Crevier all pitting for new rear tires after encountering abnormal tire vibration during practice.

Race organizers were so concerned with Picotte's prediction that they instructed Dunlop riders to install new tires during an early red-flag break in Sunday's Superbike race. Although Crevier's crew did that, his tire failed during the restarted race.

According to Fraser, the tires that failed are being sent to Dunlop R&D headquarters in England for analysis. Fraser told Roadracingworld.com that Dunlop officials have denied charges made by Canadian teams that the company has been selling rejected tires from the AMA series in Canada.

Bikes run in the Canadian Superbike Series are limited to 170 horsepower and are regularly checked on a mobile Dynojet dyno following qualifying and races. Crevier was docked 13 starting positions after qualifying at a previous round in Calgary, where his bike dynoed at 173.8 horsepower. Race organizers also use a radar gun to make sure top speeds reflect performance on the dyno.

johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote