Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 04-05-2004, 04:32 AM   #1
waepoint
Founding Member

Default Re: Fontana Superbike Results

Congrats to Mladin, but man what a boring couple of races. AMA is suffering from some serious talent dilution, with so many top riders off to GP and the manufacturers spreading their resources across Supersport, Superstock, FX, and Superbike. Sure, every manufacturer gets their little moment of glory, but does anyone really cares that a Honda won FX when they're not even contesting Supersport?</p>

At least this year's GP has the potential to be one for the ages.</p>
waepoint is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-05-2004, 05:34 AM   #2
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Default 30 RIDERS IN SUPERBIKE?

Wow, what happened from Daytona to Fontana. they institute a 120% rule or something?

Any way congrats to Mladin, Ebos, Miguel, Jake.

Now what is up with Ben Bostrom? I missed the race on TV so did he DNF the first race? Lousy start to a season for him. Race 2 is the first points he's got so far.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 05:48 AM   #3
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: 30 RIDERS IN SUPERBIKE?

He took a turn a bit too tight and ground his footpeg into the curbing and levered his wheels off the ground. Crash. DNF.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 06:30 AM   #5
crg
Founding Member

Default Re: AMA needs to reformat??

I agree completely.

SuperSport and SuperBike. No stupid tire mandates, no silly air restrictors. Since WSBK is dropping the ball here, it's AMA's chance to make this the junior MotoGP that it could be.

It's good to see privateers running with national TV time, but come on. It would be better to have some real factory teams contesting this thing. At least contesting for second place.
crg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 06:42 AM   #6
johnnyb
Founding Member

Maybe we're just in a "building season" in superbike? Helped along by AMA not finalizing the spec until like 6 weeks before the season. As long as the Hondas get beat, I am satisfied. KUDOS to Jeremy Toye for almost breaking into the top ten on an R1 with lights taped over and stock exhaust. Shame on whoever bent over and allowed Honda to make Formula Xtreme a drawn-out bad commercial. What class will we create for the too-fat 1000RR next season? Who's taking me to South Africa for round one motogp? any volunteers?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 06:47 AM   #7
drthompson65
Founding Member

I couldn't agree more and Formula Extreme should be a complete no holds bare'd class that shows off all the latest greatest technology for that bike (CBR, ZX10, YZR-R1, GSXR1K).
2004 Ducati 999 Mono Yellow (Wrecked May 06)
2006 Ducati 999S Mono Black (Replaced Wife June 06)

1972-2000 A collection of mini, dirt, and road bikes to vast too list..
drthompson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 06:49 AM   #8
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

I agree 50%

I think they should drop Superbike and Formula Extreme and ONLY run Supersport and Superstock. (Heck the Superstock bikes are already as fast as the Superbikes. 80% of this year's Superbike field is made-up of the same guys/bikes from Superstock. All Superbike is doing is giving Suzuki, Honda and Ducati a place to pick-on non-factory teams.

Supersport and Superstock are the most fair rules you can have and they also tend to be the best racing to watch, because of the relitive closeness. -Sean
Old 04-05-2004, 07:00 AM   #9
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Good grief I agree with KPaul!

You've been on your best behavior lately. 205 posts in the middleweight thread and no flame wars or Kerry links.

Oh, and Happy Birthday old man.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:06 AM   #10
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I thought FX was designed to get an interesting mix of bikes (Buell, Ducati, etc.) and engine configurations. To see factory riders racing in this class instead of Supersport is just lame.