Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 04-05-2004, 11:36 AM   #21
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Default This might be futile but....

Some of the most competative racing I've ever seen was stock classes with minimal mods. Aprilia 250 cup, HD 883's etc.

even the supersport stuff is pretty close by the end of the year.

Sure I'd like to see Duc's L2, a Triumph, and some derivative of a HD bike racing against theI4's, but it is almost impossible to get the rules to alow for a broad mix of engine designs. Weight penalties for each cylinder? Displacement limits? How artificial (i.e. imposed limits to even out competition) do you make the racing just to get multiple engine configurations?
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-05-2004, 12:04 PM   #22
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: This might be futile but....

Perhaps a Supertwins series or something like that? You could have Ducati, Aprilia, maybe Moto Guzzi, and get H-D to come up with something. We'll never see it but nice idea anyway.

MotoGP has weight penalties based on number of cylinders.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 12:06 PM   #23
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: You got what you wished for

EBoz mentioned he needs more time to jell with the bike. It seems the Superbike class may have the formula right for twins vs. I4s except there is only one twin in the whole series right now.

If WSB didn't screw everything up and cause the damn boycott Aprilia might be involved too.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:07 PM   #24
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Good grief I agree with KPaul!

I still don't think he's using silverware yet but apparently his wife is drugging him every morning.

Good job Mrs. Paul!
Old 04-05-2004, 12:16 PM   #25
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Default Re: This might be futile but....

Yes GP have wieght penalties based on number of cylinders and is going to introduce a seperate penalty structure for oval pistoned motors also. It basically has not lead to a huge vareity of motor designs, albeit more than AMA has goin.

Supertwins would be neat, but HD is not going to participate, and it still leaves Triumph staring thru the glass at the racing buffet.

Its a conundrum, but I think the AMA needs to add weight penalties to get more competition from more manufacturers (and make it more fun to bench race "mladin would have kicked ass if he could drop that 20lbs weight penalty")

I don't remember which car racing series that had to keep adding weight to the rx7 based cars just to get the competition even.

I'd just like to have multiple manufactures/engine designs to root for.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 12:45 PM   #26
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default Re: Fontana Superbike Results

Commie.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 01:15 PM   #27
mps165
Founding Member

Default Re: Fontana Superbike Results

The superbike race would be more interesting if the manufacturers other than Suzuki got it together. Mladin's trap speed was always lower than the Ducatis and the Hondas. What this says to me is the Yoshimura guys really got the set up down. Koodos to them. It was also kinda boring because Yates wasn't around drop kicking anyone.
mps165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 03:17 PM   #29
Nplateau
Founding Member

Default Re: Good grief I agree with KPaul!

Uh... I think that's Mrs. Cook.
Nplateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 03:41 PM   #30
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Fishsticks

You haven't been around long enough to know she sprinkles Ritalyn on his fishsticks.