Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 03-25-2004, 10:20 AM   #51
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Default Converting the faithfull

Go find a sports bar that has the speed network.

Spend a few dollars there, get to know the staff, and management.

When speed broadcast a race during a nascar race, get them to give you one TV with a view from the bar for the bike race.

Watch the nascar fans rag on you at first for taking one of their TV's.

Then watch most of them watch the bike race instead of the nascar race.

Educate yourself on all the racers, classes, etc. you will have alot of questions to answer.

I did this all the time before I got directv.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-25-2004, 10:29 AM   #52
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: AMA+NASCAR Say it aint so!

I'm with you there. I am no big NASCAR fan, but the racing is often actually pretty entertaining -- like any sport, it requires some knowledge of tactics etc (eg pit stops, drafting, etc) just like watching a baseball game is boring if you don't follow the game.

NASCAR is certainly NOT just a sport for toothless rednecks, as it has fan demographics that advertisers fight over -- overall a pretty diversified, affluent group.

You don't have to like it, but to insult anyone who does displays a real narrowmindedness!
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 10:38 AM   #53
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default I don't like or enjoy it, so it must SUCK

You hit it on the head there! That is why I spend so little time here recently -- gets really effin' boring reading the 1,000th iteration of the "Harleys/Sportbikes/Ducatis/Hondas/Dirtbikes/Mladin/Rossi/......(fill in the blanks) sucks" discussion!

rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 11:03 AM   #54
nokneedragin
Founding Member

"they probably have about the same fan base"

Yes, not much when compared to nascar.

The Indy 500 can't even sell out any more.

The Brickyard 500? (nascar) has people begging for tickets.

As for TV, F1, IRL and CART have didly for coverage (motorcycle racing even less, except for suberbike and GP1). Is CART even around this year?

My point is to get more coverage for any AMA pro racing series is good for all bike racing. If that means they ride on the coattails of nascar, so be it.

Old 03-25-2004, 11:05 AM   #55
nokneedragin
Founding Member

especially after the 4th or 5th Guiness.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:29 AM   #56
Istamulada
Founding Member

I think it is a great idea because once idiot people driving good ol' pickup truck and family sedan get a positive vision of a motorcycle, they might have a better opinion of us and maybe, I said maybe, in the futur, watch their rear view mirror when changing lane...
Istamulada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 12:06 PM   #57
pdad13
Founding Member

Know what's more boring than NASCAR? Watching SPEED's non-stop coverage of NASCAR. Ugh.

That being said, dirt track motorcyle racing seems pretty intense to me. Helluva lot more interesting than a bunch of sedans playing Follow the Leader.

Where I live that's called "rush hour."
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 12:07 PM   #58
johnnyb
Founding Member

since when do we need an excuse, Nimrod? what we need is Entertainment.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 01:19 PM   #59
dylanmo
Founding Member

Not a NASCAR guy, but I went to a NASCAR "Winter Heat" or whatever the hell it was race down here in Phoenix earlier this winter, because someone I kind of know personally drives in the series (some sort of sub-Busch series deal). There were about 1000 people in the stands, no hype, bullshiat or drunk screaming, and it really was a hell of an entertaining race. The reason was, a huge part of the entertainment is becoming emotionally invested in a driver, or a manufacturer, just the same as people become emotionally invested in different riders and manufacturers around MO.

SRMark is dead nuts on. I understand that some people think that NASCAR sucks, that's fine, and saying it one time is okay. However, it is possible (although evidently not probable) to think NASCAR sucks without impugning people who enjoy it as gorilla, redneck retards (or even worse, Bush voters, eh KPaul?).

These racing soul-purity tests are stupid. It all smacks of "my race-fan **** is bigger than yours". Yawn.
dylanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 01:51 PM   #60
WAYNEinMI
Registered Member

Default Re: Stop putting down Dirt track racing

Flat track and Motocross are fast and exciting.

Supercross is a canned, made for TV product.

Sometimes you can even hear some of the Supercross riders whine about how FAST outdoor Motocross is. I miss the Grand National series.
WAYNEinMI is offline   Reply With Quote