Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 03-25-2004, 09:15 AM   #41
Tigercub
Founding Member

Default Re: AMA+NASCAR Say it aint so!

I guess you've never stood at the fence 20' from the start/finish line at the Sacramento Mile when the group blasts past you at 130mph.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-25-2004, 09:22 AM   #42
Tigercub
Founding Member

Default Re: Stop putting down Dirt track racing

You are absolutely right.

For those disbelievers go to a track where they let you get up to within a few feet of the racers as they blow through and tell me how easy it is to kick that rear wheel out at 90mph through the turn slamming bars and pegs all the way through. OK, no thrill, then try it yourself at a flattrack school. The only reason I won't try it is that the learning curve would be too painful.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:31 AM   #43
Tigercub
Founding Member

I'm with you! But we may be losing the Sacramento Mile. The track makes more money on horse-racing and they don't have to grade the track for the motorcylces for that one week. At least my daughter got to see 19-year Jennifer Snyder ride for Harley to a Silver win last year. It's a shame, because the most fun is going to the vintage race the following Sunday morning and watching Eddie Mulder on his #12 Triumph run within a couple of seconds per lap of the singles the night before.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:39 AM   #44
Tigercub
Founding Member

Default Re: Flat-track racing ...

Did you go last year? The grid here in Sacramento only had one factory sponsored Harley team and no privateers. All the rest were bikes are from Japan and KTM. I wish they would keep a Harley's only class, like the sportster series. The bikes sound great and the racing is great.

What I would like to see is a resurection of the old class C racing like Mulder and Nixon or (?) have been doing in California. If they could get some decent sponsorship it'd be great fun. But I guess those days are gone.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:49 AM   #45
Rabid_Hungarian
Founding Member

I have no problem with dirt track racing. Perhaps some NASCAR fans will get turned on to two-wheeled racing as a result of the deal. But... isn't there anywhere a motorsports fan can go to get away from the yolk of the NASCAR juggernaut any more?
Rabid_Hungarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 10:09 AM   #46
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Flat-track racing ...

Which rule is formulated to benefit Harley? Since I'm up on the rules I can't find one. Help me out.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:27 AM   #47
acecycleins
Founding Member

No. NASCAR is like a fungus. When you don't pay close attention is spreads faster.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:37 AM   #48
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: A stroke of marketing genius

I don't know. This is twice in one week that I've agreed with you. People who think dirt track oval races are boring should try actually going to one. Maybe they just watch races on TV and don't know how different actually attending is. They should try strapping on a steel shoe and blasting around a track brakeless if they think it's easy.

Quick, say something to pi$$ me off. This feels unnatural.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:16 AM   #49
rsheidler
Founding Member

In its early days, many of the NASCAR races WERE on dirt tracks.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 11:20 AM   #50
rsheidler
Founding Member

True about the skill and talent these guys need. Recall how well the NASCAR guys did at the recent Daytona 24-hr roadrace -- most had never roadraced at all before! Made believers of the rest of the field!

Kinda like the flattrack racers have a pretty good track record in motorcycle roadracing!
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote