Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 03-25-2004, 06:59 AM   #31
Anti-ChickenStrip
Founding Member

Default More Ignorance...surprise

I love the "I don't like or enjoy it, so it must SUCK" attitude that has once again infected the board. Consistency is often refreshing and is always good for a laugh.

Regarding flat track motorcycle racing being boring, so how many posters have actually slid the arse end of a 300 lb 100hp motorcycle sideways at 80mph? Or, since you'd probably crash and die, have you at least seen it in real life? No? Huh...true authoritative geniuses.

Everyone's a legend in their own mind.
Anti-ChickenStrip is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-25-2004, 07:12 AM   #33
red-silver
Registered Member

Default Re: AMA+NASCAR Say it aint so!

Ok all of you squids who put down dirt track, listen up! If you have never seen a blue clay mile with a track wide groove, you have never seen a motorcycle race! 25 laps at San Jose, with 4, 5, or more leads changes per 30 second lap! You have absolutely no idea of what you are talking about!

American dirt track racers changed the face of road racing world wide starting in the late sixties. Just ask the english road racers who used to que up nice and neat until Donny Castro, Dave Aldana, or Cal Rayborn slithered sideways underneath them to the apex during the original trans-atlantic series.

The good ole' boy farm town american dirt track racers completely transformed the sport of road racing because they could slither, slide, and push the front end (at high speed) before any of the euro boys had any idea what that was about.

As you watch the top talent at today road races, and watch the frightening things they can do on a bike- think about Kenny Roberts(Sr.),

Eddie Lawsen, Cal Rayborn, Don Castro, Dave Aldana, Nicky Hayden, Kevin Schwantz, Mert Lawill, **** Mann, and realize what the current sport of road racing owes to them.

Then go and watch a good half-mile, mile, or TT, and see where they learned those skills, and quit talkin' outa your ass.
red-silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 07:14 AM   #34
ElMarco
Founding Member

That's a good one!!!!

ElMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 07:26 AM   #36
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Finally an intelligent move from AMA pro-racing.

I'm all for any pairing of the most popular racing series in america (nascar) with any pro motorcycle event.

If you don't like nascar, fine. I personally enjoy it some, but don't watch it often. The bottom line is (and pro racing is about the bottom line) nascar can pull 100,000 fans to an event for 2 or 3 days straight. This pays the bills for the track, makes sponsers cream in their jeens, puts tons of $$$ into everyones pocket involved with ths series. If I'm not mistaken, the combined laguna AMA/WSB event had 90,000 in attendance over3 or 4 days, quite a bit shy of any nascar event.

So AMA gets a flat track event to coincide with a nascar event, thats thousands of more people watching, creating more interest in the series, which gets more $$$ invested in the series. A win/win for motorcycle racing and nascar.

Oh, if you don't like flat track its because you've never been. Try it, don't be afraid of what you don't know.

Now if AMA pro racing can start taking more lessons from nascar, it will get track safety up to par with the european tracks, get the series broadcast on some other channel than speed (ESPN used to broadcast daytona tape delayed), and introduce all forms of motorcycle to americas racing fans.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 07:30 AM   #37
sarnali
Founding Member

darts is a lot of fun if you do it right, double to start...double to to win etc.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 07:34 AM   #38
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Default Yes nascar came out of the south...

...but it's TV popularity as a sporting event is second only to the NFL. Its fan base is coast to coast. Its event payouts put all other forms of motorsport to shame.

I forget which F1 racer said this in an interview, when ask about the difference between nascar and F1, but his response was:

"We race $500,000 cars for a $50,000 purse they race $50,000 cars for a $500,000 purse"

Don't watch nascar if you chose, but at least recognize a sucessfull series.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 07:35 AM   #39
Neal
Founding Member

Best post yet...ive been a motorcycle race fan since the late 60's and I like Dirt track(1/2 mile is my favorite) best as a spectator sport. Nothing against road racing but i just find it hard to get a good vantage point where you can appreciate the whole race at most tracks and its particularly hard to follow on TV. As a participant I'd only done MX until last year when i did my first half mile (vintage 250cc brakeless) at davenport on a borrowed bike......HOO BOY! what a rush!!!!!! If you doubt the required skill ,try it...you'll be a believer. Its easier to appreciate any sport if youve tried it yourself.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 07:37 AM   #40
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Ha!

buncha' slow-pokes

At least you realize how much fun you weren't having
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote