Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   AMA Racing (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/ama-racing/)
-   -   AMA+NASCAR Say it aint so! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/ama-racing/2355-ama-nascar-say-aint-so.html)

SRMark 03-25-2004 03:21 AM

Re: AMA+NASCAR Say it aint so!

Like it or not (and the nots seem to be carrying the day) NASCAR is a marketers dream come true. Check the demographics of NASCAR fans and you will be surprised how diverse a group of enthusiasts they are. Many of those "red necks" can buy and sell most of the MO readers and many have educations and vocabularies that would shame the MO populace. Don't like their sport but don't insult them either. And if the motorcycling world can gain a percent or two of the NASCAR fan base, you and I will enjoy better motorcycling. Some of these responses have been disturbingly snotty. Make yourselves feel superior have you? And no, I'm not a particularly avid fan of NASCAR but do watch an occasional race with my son. He likes it. I like him. We have a good time.

SRMark 03-25-2004 03:25 AM

Pretty boring group of rides you mention. I know I was bored to tears watching those guys in On Any Sunday. You want to learn how to ride fast on the street, learn to ride fast on the dirt. I promise you, you won't be bored and you will be a dirt track fan for life. Thanks for a differing perspective.

SparkyBlue 03-25-2004 04:08 AM

I like NASCAR; it's the perfect sleeping pill to knock me out for a nice Sunday afternoon nap.

electraglider_1997 03-25-2004 04:57 AM

Nascar

Non Athletic Sport Created Around Rednecks.

flying_hun 03-25-2004 05:28 AM

I heard somewhere that the easier something is to do, the harder it is to do it really well. Circle track racing is like that. Many years ago I was offered a ride in a very low level circle track car racing dirt oval. I already had racing experience, but the introduction to circle track was genuinely humbling. I would suspect that the same experience would be common to club road racers making the transition to dirt track. Just cause it looks simple doesn't mean it is.

acecycleins 03-25-2004 05:39 AM

You people out there slamming NASCAR really are clueless. Fact is, it pretty damn difficult to get a 800 hp 3400lb car to turn into a corner at 170. Yeah, the fact that NASCAR cookie-cut the cars and tracks does take some of the fun out of it, but the fact is that NASCARs audience world wide far outstrips ANY motorized sport. So it ain't just rednecks checking out 500 miles of left turns. The reasoning behind the AMA flat track date makes sense. Whatsmore, AMA will turn out a lot of people for their race and gain new fans in the process. So, after they tally the reciepts and rake in the green backs who's going to look like a bunch of wankers? Surely not you sportbike guys.

Labrat 03-25-2004 06:11 AM

Actually, I think Formula One has a much larger fan base worldwide, though NASCAR is probably second on the list and growing. NASCAR is just much more popular in the US.

ValkBandit 03-25-2004 06:12 AM

Flat-track racing ...

some of the most exciting, back and forth, last-corner-of-last-lap passing i've ever seen was in class c flat track. those who think it's boring obviously have not seen a lot of it. before you put it down, take a look.

i've tried to like NASCAR but i just can't get it up. sorry. but if NASCAR can be used to boost the popularity of AMA racing i say it's a good thing.

now if the AMA would just get a clue and stop formulating dirt-track rules that benefit harley (and only harley) then more manufacturers might get interested. as it is now it's a harley benefit series.

vrlbmw 03-25-2004 06:20 AM

It's all Motor Sports

And we're all people who like them. Stop ripping on everyone that's not like you. You do not know what's best. All racing takes skill, and motorcycling could use the exposure.

ewok1 03-25-2004 06:45 AM

they seem to go together pretty well. left turn only racing. still its racing and i assume pretty fun for the folks racing. the fans support is a little surprising, but it can't be worse than watching sit coms.