Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 03-09-2004, 12:34 PM   #1
racin_ryan
Founding Member

Default Re: Aaron Yates Suspended by AMA

Only one race! He should have gotten more than that. Hopefully Fania presses charges which will result in more fines. There was no call for that at all......
racin_ryan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-09-2004, 12:49 PM   #2
kaka_ninja
Founding Member

I think the matter should end here. Whether the AMA ruling was fair or not, I think it would seriously hurt the sport of racing (any form of motor racing) if racers start pressing charges outside the sport. It should be the ama's perorgative to take the matter up with law enforcement if need be. But If racers started suing each other, where will it all end.
kaka_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 12:51 PM   #3
boru4761
Registered Member

Default I'm gonna get my crew.

'AMA Pro Racing continues to investigate the circumstances surrounding the actions of each riderÂ’s crew members following the incident.'

Anybody know anything about this part? Was there a brawl? I know I'll be glued to the tube tonight for TWT on Speed.
boru4761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 01:00 PM   #4
boru4761
Registered Member

I dont think we are talking about a civil suit. What Yates did constitutes assault. I think all Fania would have to do is call the local police down in Daytona and say he wanted to press charges. The prosecution wouldn't have a tough time finding evidence. Yates is on some thin ice. Whatever the AMA decides, it'd be real tough to race from jail.
boru4761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 01:30 PM   #5
ebass
Founding Member

Default In a related note...

... EA Sports announced today that their forthcoming AMA Superbike video game will feature lifelike kicks, punches, headbutts, and signature moves like Fania's menacing "suck this, you Factory Beyotch" gesture.

Pre-orders are already dwarfing the sales of more sedate titles such as Moto GP which merely include off-camera antics such as Rossi and Biaggi *****slapping one another in the locker room.
ebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 01:55 PM   #6
polishnightmare
Founding Member

It is the responsibility for the AMA to determine if charges should be filed, what? The AMA is not the judge of what should be inforced under the law or not. A crime was committed and thus them being a law abiding group should inform the police of the criminal behavior. Fighting has nothing to do with MC racing. They need to stop this in the budd.

As far as doing bad for the sport, what will do bad for the sport is Yates like actions continueing. The AMA needs to show that this is UNACCEPTABLE PERIOD!!!!!!
polishnightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 01:56 PM   #7
polishnightmare
Founding Member

which in this case the AMA di not show that this is unacceptable. It should that you get a slap on the wrist.
polishnightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 02:22 PM   #8
johnnyb
Founding Member

I went to a hockey game the other night and a motorcycle race broke out. TA DA DUM! thank you, tip your waitresses... WHAT A DRAB LITTLE WORLD IT HAS BECOME. RACING NEEDS MORE ASS-KICKINGS. SO DOES THE U.S. The proper response to half the stupid stuff that people do here is a shot in the chops. Tell me George Bush wouldn't have benefitted at some point from a friendly barroom butt-kicking. Spare the rod and spoil the child I say.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 02:45 PM   #9
sportriderjed
Founding Member

Perhaps the occasional pugilistic response to stupidity is ok, but I think the way Yates handled it looked like a temper tantrum. If you really want to pound someone do it later out of the view of the cameras and off the track.
sportriderjed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 02:58 PM   #10
sportriderjed
Founding Member

Yates needs more than one race to really get his attention. What a joke- and 5 grand? That is not enough money to "show how serious" this was. Wasn't it Yates that got mad last year and laid down on the track so they would stop a race? I mean they are supposed to be professionals and this guy is acting like a 2 yr old throwing a fit. Besides it looked to me like the lapper was holding his line and Yates came in on him, so why was he mad at him anyway? Compare this to how Miguel Duhamel behaved last year after crashing into a lapper. He got up and made sure the guy was ok and they got off the track. I know getting around the lappers is a problem, but that is part of racing...you try to get tricky and go around the guy where he is not expecting it and sometimes you make it and sometimes you don't. You really cant blame Fania unless he was not holding his line.

My buddy told me that Yoshimura Suzuki fined him $20,000 as well...anyone else heard that? I think that Fania showed remarkable restraint. If some jackass drop kicked me and then head butted me while I was walking away I think I would have been inclined to give him some free dental work.
sportriderjed is offline   Reply With Quote