Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 03-09-2004, 03:05 PM   #11
mergenex
Founding Member

Default Re: Aaron Yates Suspended by AMA

you got to see this from a racers perspective. the ama just gave him the death penalty. they just took him out of the championship, and hit him were it hurts the pro racer the most. in the points if ends up high the higbee in the final oints race ill be surprised. he has money. he would never go to jail, or be found guilty. but he rep as a good racer has benn seriously messed up
mergenex is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-09-2004, 03:08 PM   #12
mergenex
Founding Member

on second thought. hmmm.... he has a point

what happend to men just beating each otheres asses when we got pissed? *****, thats how it is everywear else. its racing, not ballet. testosterone is dripping fromthis sport
mergenex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 04:32 PM   #13
orcyclist
Founding Member

In all racing I know of and am familiar with, whether 2 or 4 wheels, it is the sole responsibility of the overtaking rider to take appropriate action to avoind a collision.

Yates, in my viewing of the race footage, (multiple times (thanks TIVO)) it seems fairly clear (to me) that Yates violated this rule. (By the way I think Yates is a great racer.)

The action that Yates took after the collison only seems to verify that he was angry - but he should have been angry at himself for his miscue, NOT Fania. Not once but twice did Yates assault Fania (I am a former prosecutor and have seen lots of similar anger driven actions end up in criminal court)

The penalty is relatively light. I think a more appropriate action would have been to suspend Yates from one meet and put him on probation for 5 additional meets. Make him think about consequences before he acts.

Paul Tracy in CART (or whatever it is called these days) Juan Montoya in F1 and Michael Andretti have all been put on probation for rought driving, the problem was cured.

Ask yourself; "What do you think the result would have been had Fania done the same acts to Yates?" Think about it.

Thanks for reading.

Rick in Portland Oregon
Old 03-09-2004, 05:45 PM   #14
ebass
Founding Member

JB, put down the Sparks and back slowly away from the keyboard.

ebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 06:11 PM   #15
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

I heard it was $100,000 and he would have to sell all his motorcycles then be forced to drive a used Suzuki Tracker for a year! Now that's harsh!
TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 06:23 PM   #16
piinob
Founding Member

Go JohnnyB!!!!!!!!!!!
piinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 08:24 PM   #17
Alien
Founding Member

Isn't that two races at Fontana he is being made to miss? One race would be lame! Two sounds more like it - he certainly deserves it!
Alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 06:17 AM   #18
johnnyb
Founding Member

EBASS DON'T MAKE ME HAVE TO COME UP THERE AND KICK YOUR HAIRLESS ASS MAN!!
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 06:24 AM   #19
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: I'm gonna get my crew.

Yes, some of Yates team members went over to Fania's pit and started harassing his pit crew. They also physically removed Fania's sponsor from the Yoshimura tent.
Old 03-10-2004, 06:59 AM   #20
SRMark
Founding Member

Good reference to hockey. Timing is everything in life and Yates may just find that out. At a hockey game last night, one player sucker punched the other from behind then jumped on him, riding him head-first into the ice. The attacked player received a concussion, deep facial lacerations and a BROKEN NECK. Looks like some criminal charges will be forthcoming. Yates helmeted-head-butt and kicking tirade could have caused serious injury. Yates needs to be talking to his attorney in anticipation of the hockey fall out. And I don't wish him well.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote