Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   AMA Racing (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/ama-racing/)
-   -   AMA Fights CA Organ Donor Bill (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/ama-racing/2282-ama-fights-ca-organ-donor-bill.html)

KPaulCook 01-09-2004 07:42 AM

Re: AMA Fights CA Organ Donor Bill

I'll make sure I give him my informed opinion.

peinados 01-09-2004 08:52 AM

Re: What goes around, comes around.

right on the money! This may be a stupid questions, but do dead people have rights? If they do, those rights certainly shouldn't superceed those of the living.

You can't take anything with you (that is if you believe we go anywhere after death). Might as well leave something behind that others will greatly benifit from. Selfish in life (riding without a helmet, promoting a dangerouse riding style to the young and impressionables), selfish in death I guess.

kawazuki 01-09-2004 09:01 AM

Come on guys, it's not that complex. He doesn't care about the organ donation, he's just afraid the de-helmeting bill might pass, so he added a rider that was guaranteed to kill the bill.

-Kawazuki

TatdNPrcd 01-09-2004 09:51 AM

Sometimes the thing most obvious is the hardest to see. Well said, kawa'ki.

Ain't politics grand?!?

If it isn't our "representatives" trying to protect us from ourselves (or in this case mandated organ theft) it is advocate groups who are really nothing less than terrorist organizations. This report was just released from a group calling themselves the, Advocates for Highway and Auto Safety

Read that last quote from the Advocates' President Stone and tell me it doesn't smell like some sort of ji'had.

seruzawa 01-09-2004 10:05 AM

You know you're in trouble.....

....when the clowns always want the Federal Govt to step in and mandate 55 mph national speed limits and national seat belt laws.

These clowns have to most voluminous load of misleading statistics since the IIHS. In a 2 minute perusal I detected at least 5 outright lies on their site. They rival the smoking-nazis.

The usual for do-gooders. We're supposed to forgive their totalitarianism and false propaganda because they claim to have "good intentions".

sarnali 01-09-2004 10:15 AM

Re: Not a bad idea

I guess we could always eat 'em

sarnali 01-09-2004 10:21 AM

I'm guessing G.W. and the vast right wing conspiracy are behind this.

To be honest by the time I'm done with my organs I doubt they'd be fit for dog food

Monster_1 01-09-2004 10:31 AM

Not to be vulgar, but if anyone supports violating the remains of the deceased to harvest their organs without explicit prior consent, then they apparently wouldn't have a problem with necrophilia either. After all, they're dead, right? Why should it matter what happens to them?

Akin to the classic Monty Python sketch mentioned further above is the very real possibility of intentional attempts to run unhelmeted riders off the road to harvest their organs. Remember the insurance scam a few years ago where corrupt doctors were telling patients to go out & cause accidents so they could make bogus claims of whiplash & other maladies? Kinda backfired when a few innocent bystanders were inadvertantly killed.

As someone else mentioned, the amendment may just be an attempt to kill the original proposal. Hopefully the amendment is killed.

KPaulCook 01-09-2004 10:51 AM

No I think a lot of people have this pegged right, the guy wants to defeat the bill so he adds the amendment. I am sorry I don't get folks desire to ride without a helmet. Most of us younger folks don't get the urge like the gray-pony tail Harley crowd do. But we weren't at Woodstock, Vietnam, or lived through Watergate, JFK, RFK, and MLK assanations, so we don't know where these guys are coming from.

sarnali 01-09-2004 10:53 AM

Re: You know you're in trouble.....

The quote from the grieving Tennesse family says it all. "If Tennesse had a seatbelt law then junior would have known he had to buckle up and he'd still be with us"

How about if junior had half a brain he'd have worn a seatbelt, or if junior's family had really cared they'd have made sure he wore his seatbelt everytime he got in a car from the time he was born. Why does something have to be a law before someone uses the safety equipment thats available?

There's a class of people that deem themselves smarter than everyone else, or devinely inspired to tell everyone else how to live. Issues like seatbelts and helmets are really just common sense, the same as smoking. You'd have to be already brain dead not to know that not wearing a seatbelt or helmet is going to increase your chance of getting injured in an accident. Just the same as smoking, drinking like a fish and eating crappy junk food is going to impact your health. The fact is I'm an intelligent, responsible adult and if I chose to do any of these things (which I don't) It's my choice, and I don't need advice or instruction from some anal-retentive busybody with an overabundance of self worth.