Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 09-22-2003, 03:45 AM   #1
Ken_Packard
Founding Member

Default Re: Barber Superbike Results

Duhamel seemed very fired up after the crash. Wish they had interviewed him. Would have liked to hear what he had to say....
Ken_Packard is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-22-2003, 08:07 AM   #2
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Congrats Mat. Congrats Aaron and Kurtis. Next year should be interesting. I'm not sure the AMA is taking a long view of the sport. I would like to see them allow the state of the art to advance in motorcycle performance while allowing as many different bikes as possible to compete. A tall order to be sure but the upside seems worthwhile. I'd like a "Stock" (very limited mods) "Open" class on "Real" (not 100 mile racing DOT) street tires, maybe with no direct factory participation (other than contingency money), a novice class? I think that the engines should be sealed at the start of the season and not changed without a heavy penalty (unless the bike is crashed perhaps). One set of tires per weekend. Maybe a couple of 200 to 500 mile endurance events thrown in as well. I think a bike/tire combo winning that class would have "real world" desirability. I also think that the AMA needs to find a way to entice Buell/HD to compete in a "National" class. I have to believe the AMA knows that HALF of the motorcyclists in this country have ZERO interest in Road Racing. Hell they're already on two wheels, give em something to watch/cheer.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 10:03 AM   #3
nokneedragin
Founding Member

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I can't help it.

Speed at least covered the races, but lets get a little more time to have say a 15minute pre-race and post race intro and wrap up. It would be great to get into the pits alittle more, show some qualifying scenes, interview afew people in front and behind the scenes, and a race recap showing the best pass, block, slide etc.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 11:14 AM   #4
jeffnobikeyet
Founding Member

Flew down from Michigan for the races. Great time. The Barber facility is incredible. Also has his personal collection of more than 800 bikes in a new museum (5 levels, like a huge parking deck). Well worth the trip.
jeffnobikeyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 12:58 PM   #5
wfowade
Founding Member

Street tires on a 1000 cc race bike? My bet is that you have not tried this on a track for 30 minutes of all out racing. Even with 20-30 lap race tires, these tires are being smoked like a hooker on dollar night.
wfowade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 12:58 PM   #6
wfowade
Founding Member

Street tires on a 1000 cc race bike? My bet is that you have not tried this on a track for 30 minutes of all out racing. Even with 20-30 lap race tires, these tires are being smoked like a hooker on dollar night.
wfowade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 01:15 PM   #7
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

ya man, I couldn't tell if it was Bostrom or one of the backmarkers that he called a "f***ing ***hole" and I wanted to find out who. Probably Bostrom, the crash was mostly his fault I would say, since he was running into the back of some unsuspecting lappers.....That really sucks, I love both the Bostrom brothers and root for them to win every race, and I also like Duhamel, he's a funny guy, hate to see them get tangled up like that. They're both better than whiny baby Roberts and arrogant superiority complex Matt.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 02:39 PM   #8
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

1- You forgot Jamie Hacking and Rich Oliver. Congrats to them too.

2- One set of tires per weekend? Are you kidding? Street tires will last about 10-15 laps on a track, at most, with a decent club-level racer behind the bars. One set would just about cover practice.

3-Your stock class idea (aside from the tire thing) exists in numerous locations at the club level. It will never take off on the national level because fans don't like to watch that level of racing. If you don't believe me, look at the stunning success of the Yamaha Seca challenge and the Sportster 883 series. And no, adding 600s will not improve the formula. The problem is not the type of bikes being raced.

4-The AMA doesn't care if those half have no interest in roadracing, because they watch dirt track instead, which is still AMA, and is dominated by H-D.
Old 09-22-2003, 02:40 PM   #9
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default Mladin oughta be in politics

he's got that whole lying with sincerity thing so covered. I so hope the Bostroms and the Kurtis Roberts's and the Hackings get on R1s and Honda 1000RR's and things next year, if any of those factories participate that is. Be fun to see what new excuses MM comes up with then.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 02:48 PM   #10
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Mladin oughta be in politics

He's not as creative as a real professional whiner like Max Biatchi, so he'll probably just recycle some that he's used in the past.