Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 09-07-2003, 04:22 PM   #11
Ducgroupie
Founding Member

Default 3 600cc classes next year

Are there going to be 3 600cc classes of racing next year?

Superstock

Supersport

and now Formula Xtreme too??

If that's the case he'd be riding the XB9R not the 12 in Xtreme

Ducgroupie out

Ducgroupie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-08-2003, 07:42 AM   #12
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: 3 600cc classes next year

There are really only two classes for 600cc bikes next year, and they are quite different. They are:

"Supersport" - for mostly "stock" 600cc bikes on DOT race tires.

"Formula Extreme" - drops the 1000cc and 750cc fours, for heavily modified 600/4s and 750/Twins on slicks. (though I believe a Supersport legal 600 could probably be raced in Extreme, with a simple tire swap.)

The "Superstock" class is being modified to allow 1000cc inline 4s next year. I believe there is still some debate as to whether or not to stick with DOT race tires, or allow full slicks for safety's sake.
Old 09-08-2003, 02:41 PM   #13
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: 3 600cc classes next year

So the final draft of the Formula Extreme eliminated the air cool twins then?? I thought I saw a first draft with the air cooled twins.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 05:11 PM   #14
DaveFla
Founding Member

Default Re: AMA vs Buell

I see what their problem is! You have to read the letter all the way to the signature to understand why they aren't letting him in:</p>

<blockquote>Sincerely,

Michael Ciccotto #13

</blockquote>

Oil leaks. What a load of BS. I just read the Winnetka Cycle piece- maybe they think o-ringing should be against the rules?</p>

Perhaps if I decide not to renew my membership in protest, the AMA will hear?</p>

DaveFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 09:22 PM   #15
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

I think the question is how can the AMA not make room for a Buell. Motorcycle roadracing in this country is hardly overly popular. I believe that Buell could potentially bring the interest of a huge fan base, one that has felt largely disenfrancised from the sport for 30 years now. I miss Rayborn and the gang on their "Halloween Specials". The sound of those bikes was music to my ears. I'm mostly a riceburner fan but I say let them be competitive and let them race! As far as "bring teams that should not be there?" goes, Hogwash! (some pun intended) I can only guess what that remark implied... . Hey AMA don't get all NASCAR on us remember your roots. Is there not room for all Motorcyclists within your organization? Within Motorcycle Roadracing?
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 09:21 AM   #16
f4ik9
Founding Member

Hey MO gang, why not settle some of the performance debate and do a 600 vs. Buell shootout. If, as you stated in the Buell vs. Ducati ss900 review, that the Buell ran off and left an R1 in the canyons, then 600s on a racetrack shouldn't be much different. At least it would give us some lap times to compare. Numbers baby, it's all in the numbers. Or is it?
f4ik9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 11:07 AM   #17
sjriott
Founding Member

Why allow an air cooled twin of 1200cc compete with a liquid cooled 600cc or liquid cooled 750cc machine?

Seems obvious to me, his displacement is too large. Why doesn't he run a 1000cc air cooled engine?
Old 09-18-2003, 06:22 PM   #18
DaveFla
Founding Member

Look at it again, he was running a "nearly stock XB9R..." That's 984cc.

DaveFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 10:17 AM   #19
ZRX_bullock
Founding Member

Take a look at the lap times from BIR in 2002; the Super bikes were running times in the low 1:37 range, the Super Sport were in the 1:41Â’s, Formula Xtreme were in the 1:38 range, Super stock were in the 1:40Â’s, 250 two strokers were in the 1:42Â’s and the Buell Pro Thunder were in the 1:44Â’s. To make it worse Ducati 748's dominated the series.

That is why AMA will not set up another class just for an American made motorcycle. I believe that someday Polaris will build a bike that can compete in AMA, Buell had there chance and blew it.